Search for content in message boards

Townsend Jones, Larchmont, Westchester Co., NY

Replies: 3

Townsend Jones, Larchmont, Westchester Co., NY

Wyn Achenbaum (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2000 1:28AM GMT
My grandfather, 1900-1989, was raised by his mother in Newark, NJ. She was the daughter of Susan TOWNSEND (abt 1858-1914) from what is now Goshen, Orange County, NY, and Dewitt Clinton
RICE(1824-1901)(location unknown; buried in Albany), a godson of Gov. Dewitt Clinton. Their daughter, according to family lore, was raised on the periphery of NYC "high society."

I'm sorting through my grandfather's files, and came across this sentence in something he wrote to his sister, with whom he'd been out of contact most of his adult life, and I'm hoping someone will be able to
tell me more about the JONES family of Larchmont, and how/whether they are related to any Townsends (so far Susan Townsend is the only one I've got). "Then there was the Larchmont family which had a
son my age and a daughter a couple of years younger. Their name was Jones. The son was Townsend Jones. From, I think, 1909 through 1913 or 14 I spent two weeks each summer over the 4th of July
time as a guest of the Jones." Jones (the father) may have been an architect, perhaps in Manhattan).

And in something from his sister, there is this note, probably related: "Susan Townsend was _our Grandmother_. She was 15 or 16 when she married Dewitt Clinton Rice, _our Grandfather_, who was then
50. Mother told me that the Townsend farm was what is now known as Goshen, NY, that squatters took over and eventually gleaned all their land. That was a long time ago. Nana was one of three
daughters, Lyde and Mable. I think Mable married a Jones, also I think Lyde married Uncle Gus -- can't think of his last name." In another letter, she says " Nana had a sister Lide -- I am not sure of the
spelling -- and I think Ethel Schalk -- Mable Jones? Lide were her sister's children."

The letter from my grandfather includes this bit "I know nothing of her father's relatives, but three sisters who were mother's first cousins were married respectively to Otto SCHALK, a HENSEL, and a
farmer who had a farm in the neighborhood of Jess HAYS' home in Fort Montgomery [Rockland County, on Hudson River]."

Jess Hays was called "Cousin Jess" but it is not clear that he was actually a relative. These contradict each other a bit in terms of generations, but at least I've got some surnames. I would appreciate any and
all clues!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Wyn Achenbaum 25 Mar 2000 8:28AM GMT 
Pat 12 Jun 2000 3:40PM GMT 
LarryGallaghe... 5 Feb 2013 3:26AM GMT 
LarryGallaghe... 13 Mar 2014 7:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic