Search for content in message boards

Jordans in S.C. MS

Replies: 9

Jordans of South Carolina-Alabama-Mississippi

Eddie Pope (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2000 2:27PM GMT
Amy, this might get long, but:
I am a descendant of Baxter Jordan who came to Darlington SC about 1790 from Virginia. That's now far as I can go. Anyway most of Baxters children are born before he comes to SC except 1.... Baxters children are as follows, Alexander, Wiley, Dolly, Peter, John (Dick), Judith Berry, Batson, Byrd. Bryd is my next ancestor. The John alias Dick was born to early to be your ancestor being born before 1790, but his brothers children are as follows. Berry Jordans children: Alexander, Baxter, John, Thomas, James, Elizabeth, Mary....None of the other brothers had a John. It is important that I tell you here that the Jordans of Darlington SC duplicated many names like John, James, Alexander, and Baxter so be carefull in your research of these people. Now I'm saying that this John Jordan son of Berry Jordan son of Baxter Jordan (Jourdan) is your ancestor, but there is a good possibility of it. It seems that between 1830 and 1840 there was a big push to go west from Darlington and many families did just that and went to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisina, and Texas. The Jordans were no exception. I haven't done much research on Berry's children but I am sure that some of his went west for new land. If you want to get someone from Darlington to check this out you can call the Darlington County Historical Society at 1-843-398-4710 and talk to Horace Frasier Rudisill or one of the lady's that work there. They are willing to help. There may be a small copying fee for any documents copied. They are also very knowledgeable about Darlington County. Mr Rudisill has spent much of his life researching The County and is very qualified to help. I hope this helps you. If you can connect to our Jordans in Darlington let me know. I will share anything I have with you and maybe we can find some more of our lost family.
Your Jordan Cusin Ed Pope
P.S. The correct pronunciation of Jordan here is Jourdan like you would pronounce Journey.....
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Amy Jordan 23 Sep 2000 6:51PM GMT 
Cecelia Koon 30 Sep 2000 1:08PM GMT 
Hud Jordan 30 Sep 2000 4:53PM GMT 
Cecelia Koon 1 Oct 2000 6:23AM GMT 
Miriam Smith 31 Jan 2003 5:45PM GMT 
DShows39 7 Oct 2000 4:48PM GMT 
Amy Jordan 7 Oct 2000 8:52PM GMT 
Eddie Pope 17 Oct 2000 8:27PM GMT 
Thomas Kraig Spivey 20 Jul 2002 2:31PM GMT 
vance sanders 9 Feb 2014 12:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions