Search for content in message boards

Judds in Australia

Replies: 16

Re: Judds in Australia

Posted: 30 Oct 2008 3:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would be very surprised if you found a Jewish connexion. Judd is a very old English surname. It is a mystery why Edward Pullen/Pullin assumed the surname Judd. His father was certainly Job Pullen/Pullin, and he was a gardener in Shirehampton just as Edward says on his marriage certificate (they were married at Inkberrow, Worcestershire, which is very close to the border with Warwickshire, where his wife was baptised at Alcester.) By the way, there is no evidence this end that says his middle name was Job or that he had one at all. It would be rare for a family of that station in 1830 to give their children middle names. I researched this family for decades!

I know his wife said her middle name was Turbeyfield but research has shown it to be Turberville. Her grandmother was living with the family in April 1851 and her surname is spelt Turberville in the Census. Moreover, when Emma's mother had her last couple of children, during Civil Registration, her maiden name is given by her husband on the birth certificates as Turberville. When Emma's grandfather died, his name was Charles Turberville on the Death Certificate.

People couldn't spell in those days and often all they could manage was to write their names. Often they couldn't do that either. If you were illiterate, how would you know how a surname was spelt? Her grandfather had numerous children baptised at Arrow, south of Alcester. The spellings of their surname in the registers vary. Almost every one is different!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Robert Judd 30 Sep 2000 12:00AM GMT 
A_Fundis 15 Jun 2008 9:24AM GMT 
lynjudd2 29 Oct 2008 10:35PM GMT 
lauderfrost 30 Oct 2008 9:39PM GMT 
turoar2 3 Nov 2008 9:33AM GMT 
bunyip67 6 May 2012 3:15PM GMT 
turoar2 6 May 2012 10:38PM GMT 
A_Fundis 15 Jun 2008 9:24AM GMT 
turoar2 15 Jun 2008 9:57AM GMT 
A_Fundis 15 Jun 2008 10:05AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions