Search for content in message boards

Rowland Judd of NC

Replies: 32

Re: Rowland Judd of NC

Jane McGuire (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2006 2:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Mary Ann, Jo, and Everyone -

Sorry to be late in replying - but my genealogy work is usually relegated to weekends when I'm not doing my 9 - 5.

If Rowland Sr had a will, I don't recall mention of it anywhere in all my searching that I could go back and find. I quickly checked in the book "Judd" by Peggy Gregory and didn't find mention of a will per se either. Quoting the book: "Rowland Judd gradually disposed of his land. One of the last recorded deeds was dated 4 May 1801 when he sold twentyfive acres of land for $25.00 to John Judd. (Note: Book Ref 22 "Deed of Sale from Rowland Judd to John Judd," 4 May 1801, recorded Aug term 1801 by oath of Rowland Judd Jr; Deed Book C-1, pp 247, 248., Wilkes County, N. C. Courthouse). His death occurred in Reddies River, Wilkes Co NC on 25 Oct 1806." So perhaps a letter to the Courthouse could result in something. I have read in the Wilkes Co Genealogical Society bulletins that Rowland's property, real and personal, was sold in a sheriffi's sale a couple of years before his death but for what reason I don't know. I can locate this for you if you wish but it willl take a little time. I have a lot of the older bulletins which actually gives quite a bit of interesting information on the Judds, Greers, Willcoxsons, etc.

To again quote the "Judd" book: "The Green County probate records do not have an inventory or administration of the estate of Robert Judd, so it is presumed that before his death, he had disposed of his property".

Elizabeth "Betsy" Judd and her husband, Thomas Williamson, were not documented in the Judd book, however, being my lineage, I can provide that for anyone interested. Many of the Judds and Williamsons moved to Crawford Co, Indiana and other counties and then to Illinois and some on to Iowa and further. Elizabeth and Thomas settled in Knox Co, Ill, just 50 miles from Burlington, and there were several Judd relatives in Knox so Elizabeth had "family" nearby.

It's a very interesting family.

Jane

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Joan Vivian 13 Sep 2006 5:57AM GMT 
Judy Bigras 13 Sep 2006 9:19PM GMT 
Rhonda Van Wy... 17 Oct 2009 3:39PM GMT 
tingmcguire2 17 Oct 2009 7:01PM GMT 
LGerhart_2000 15 Nov 2010 11:38PM GMT 
cwjudd2 27 Feb 2013 7:33PM GMT 
Jo Judd 8 Sep 2006 1:44PM GMT 
Mary Ann Karnes 8 Sep 2006 7:57PM GMT 
Jane McGuire 9 Sep 2006 8:24PM GMT