Search for content in message boards

Jump in NY, IL, NE and MN

Replies: 0

Jump in NY, IL, NE and MN

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jump Atkins
I see that others have researched this line in the past, although those threads are pretty old. The line starts with a Reuben Jump. His dob is not clear, and it is possible but uncertain (as far as I can tell) that his father was Joseph Jump.

Reuben's son Morris served in the War of 1812. Morris, like Reuben, lived in Greenville NY all his life. One of his sons, Johnny D. Jump, moved to IL, served for three years in the Civil War, and then moved near Lincoln NE. Johnny married Elvira Leigh, believed by the family to be descended from a prestigious "Leigh" family from England, although the line goes back to the 1600's in New England.

Johnny and Elvira's son Clint married Winnie Atkins. This couple is discussed in some threads here from 2001. They lived most of their lives in Princeton MN. One of their daughters, Philma, was my grandmother.

Philma's unusual name came from one of Winnie's sisters. Elizabeth Atkins was a spinster and a scholar, she was a professor of English at the University of MN. Winnie wanted to give her sister the honor of naming the baby. Elizabeth was delighted and wrote in a letter that the baby should be named Phyllura. However, Elizabeth's handwriting was very poor, and my poor grandmother ended up being known all her life as Phil because her legal name was so unpleasant.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions