Search for content in message boards

Ketterman Coat Of Arms

Replies: 4

Ketterman Coat Of Arms

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 12:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ketterman,Kettermann
Norman Ketterman has a couple of great Ketterman genealogy books for sale.I had a old book that had the Ketterman coat of arms it ,wiith the description of the blazon,I found that norman had the same coat of arms in his book,i seen this same arms on a website of a rolf kettermann in germany, he has a hotel in germany with a website.I contacted him a couple of times to learn more about it,he told me what the symbol was that is on the shield,he called it a wolf's rune and also gave a date of wich it was first registered in germnay,The wolf's rune i found out has many names ,the wolfsangle,the wolfsangel,the wolf's hook and the most comman the dopplehaken wich its the word that is used to descibe the ketterman coat of arms,dopplehaken i quess is german for doulble hook.anyway the ketterman coat of arms looks to be a slight variation of the dopplehaken used in germany.Ive seen many other german coat of arms with dopplehaken's on them it seems to be a very common symbol that was used on many family crest.around that time.
you can visit a site that has one interpatation of the symbol at http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/Wolfsangel.asp
(DONT PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THAT NEO NAZI STUFF ON THE WEBPAGE,THE SITE JUST HAS A GOOD PICTURE AND A BRIEF HISTOY ORIGIN OF THE SYMBOL)I DONT WANT TO CONNECT ANYTHING KETTERMAN TO THAT CRAP!!!!)
THIS SYMBOL OUTDATES ANYTHING NAZI OR ANTI SEMITIC

if you do a google search on wolfsangle or doppelhaken they all come up with interesting things,basicaly they all have to do something with wolves,to ward off wolves,to trap a wolf,on one site it described how the hook was used like a fishing pole to catch wolves.they would hang the double hook from a tree from the middle and put a rabbit or some sort of meat on the hooks.and the same idea applies to the what happens to the wolf as to what a fishing hook does to a fish.Another article explains how in battle some knights would put this symbol on there shield to give that person the power and agility of a wolf.I do not know the credibility of these storys but would like to know what actually this symbols is or what means.And why one Ketterman family chose it as a coat of arms.Also in germany they spell it Kettermann ,and there is only one registered coat of arms for that name since 1646, rolf kettermann's hotel in germany has a website with the kettermann coat of arms on it at
http://www.hotel-steffensberg.de/
you can also contact him he speaks good english
Im gonna go to his hotel in enkirch,germany next year with my dad,wife and son and see what else can be found about the coat of arms and to meet some of the native german ketterman's.I got one copy on the coat of arms in a book i orderd a few years back about german heraldry and a picture of it and the description from the siebmachers wappenbuch a book that documents german coat of arms.If anyone would like a copy write to: Tony2Doggs@juno.com or if you have any other details about the Ketterman coat of arms or name origin.Also i came into contact with a Dee Ketterman a year back and she has a similar book with the same coat of arms in it and she will send you a copy too if anyone is interested Dee Ketterman O'Brien
ardor1221@yahoo.com

I dont know if this Ketterman coat of arms can be linked in any way to the Ketterman's in the u.s but it is the only one ever registered to a person with that close of a surname and im very interested in finding out any details about it.

Anthony Ketterman
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
reggieballin2... 27 Oct 2005 6:41AM GMT 
dobrien157 19 Jan 2008 9:41PM GMT 
jameslong350 4 Mar 2012 1:28AM GMT 
dobrien157 19 Jan 2008 9:43PM GMT 
tony2doggs1 29 Jan 2010 8:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic