Search for content in message boards

Men in Revolutionary War who fought at Saratoga, NY, 1777

Replies: 2

Men in Revolutionary War who fought at Saratoga, NY, 1777

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 3:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kidder, Chamberlain
Hello,

I'm looking through the archives of this Board and was reminded of the big mystery on my family-tree. Joseph and Rebecca (CHAMBERLAIN) KIDDER came up from Westford, MA, to settle in New Ipswich, NH. They soon moved their large family to the next town, Temple, NH. They had 9 children, 3 sons and 6 daughters. There is very little on the daughters, only some marriage information. And, when Joseph died in 1817, his death notice stated only 5 daughters were living.

The oldest, Wilder KIDDER, fought in the War in several states and was a "famous and animated Fifer." He and his wife from NJ were alive after 1820, and pension records state they last lived in Tioga Co., NY. No date of death and no "last residence." Their middle son was my ancestor, Calvin KIDDER (1765-1799), left ~1783 for Canada. He was not a Loyalist or Sympathizer but might have been traveling with Loyalist families from New Boston, NH. (HITCHINGS, for example) No one knows how he spent 15 yrs. in New Brunswick and married in 1798. His first child was born in Jan. 1799, and he was killed in a boating accident - one week later.

The mystery is about the youngest son, Joseph (Jr.) KIDDER. As a young teen, he became a soldier in the War, and he was sent to Saratoga, NY. He had a cousin, Joseph KIDDER, from Westford, MA, area, who also went to Saratoga. One of them died there, and no one knows which one. And, one of them returned to live in Temple, NH, and no one knows which one. Some believe it was the cousin who survived and went to live in Temple near his uncle/aunt. One of them married there and had several children. My hunch is that it was the son, Joseph, Jr., who survived. Part of the problem is that the Joseph who married there "left town" and no one knows where he went to.

When I mentioned this mystery on some of the Lists, I found out that there were at least .8. KIDDER's who fought at Saratoga, NY, in 1777. I was told about a web site where you could look up the names, but it is no longer on-line. I searched now and found this very nice web site about the "Saratoga .. Museum" ..

http://www.revolutionaryday.com/usroute9/saratoga/default.ht...

That reminded me that there were 2 battles where soldiers died, Sept. and Oct.

http://www.britishbattles.com/battle-saratoga.htm

http://www.nps.gov/sara/index.htm

I'll try to find an old posting where it states the date of death for the Joseph KIDDER I'm interested in. (Should be from Westford or Littleton, MA, or from Temple, NH.)

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

(on Lists and Boards for 10 yrs.; now an Admin for 9 Lists and 4 Boards, including a Board for CAN-USA-Migration and a new Board for New-England-Research)

Note: The KIDDER book has wrong information, Joseph's wife was Rebecca CHAMBERLAIN. Their first son was named, Wilder, because of one of Rebecca's mother's names.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bbffrrpp 9 Jul 2012 9:51AM GMT 
Leiber0213 11 Nov 2012 3:31AM GMT 
bbffrrpp 5 May 2013 12:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions