Search for content in message boards

Nancy Kirby Family

Replies: 8

Re: Nancy Kirby Family

Posted: 26 Dec 2007 12:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KIRBY, ROCKWELL, COOK, Wilson, CLARK, Locuby, MALCOLM, FOWLER, Drinkwater, Jeffers, Butkett, Hammond, Page, Gilbert, Leitzman, Rodrus
Bill,

I have a Gilbert Burton Cook who married Alice Almeta (Rockwell) Kirby. Alice was widowed when 1st husband Robert Kirby (b. 1858) died 28 Mar 1899. Alice and Robert were married 8 Jun 1879 and had 10 children (8 surviving to adults): Edward, Maud Mulvina, Charles Maynard, Anna Belle, Margaret Josephine (my ancestor), Robert Everett, Arthur Stephen, Homer Forest, and twins Mary Elsie and Sarah Elva.

Alice married Gilbert Cook (d. 6 Feb 1933) on 23 Dec 1913. They had no children.

Alice was born 1 Jun 1861 in Clark Co., IL and died 24 Jun 1936 in Hunt City, Jasper Co., IL. She is buried in the Mound Cemetery, rural Jasper County near Hunt City (Same cemetery as Burl Ives). She was the daughter of Charles Wilson and Julia (Unknown) Rockwell. Charles had a second wife, Ann Locuby. As far as I can discern, the children belong to Julia. Alice's siblings included: Jennie, Sarah, Cornelia "Nellie", Sarah, Samuel, and Joseph.

Going back to the Kirby family - Robert Kirby was the son of James and Marry (Unknown) Kirby. He had the following siblings: Joseph, Charles E, Nancy T, James, and John W. I suspect the Nancy Kirby that married Gilbert Cook was Robert's sister and not Ann's. So, the "sister" of Nancy that Gilbert married would actually be her sister-in-law, Alice Rockwell. As for the remaining siblings, I can only take an educated guess based on ages and location - it appears Joseph married Sarah Clark, Charles married America Malcolm, and John married Lucinda Fowler. I haven't investigated the siblings in that family beyond this. Robert and Alice are our ancestors.

I have attached a photo of Alice and Gilbert Cook, as well as the obituary for Alice Almeta (Rockwell) Kirby Cook.

Feel free to ask for further details - I will provide what I can. All my information is cited and sourced to fairly reliable documentation/persons.

Blessings,
Abigail Beth (Cooley) Shanks

[attached obituary]
Citation:
Written externally by an unknown source and submitted for printing in the Newton Press Mentor. This obituary was found clipped and included in a collection of obituaries located in the Newton Public Library Genealogy Collection.

Content:

Obituary

Mrs. Alice Rockwell Cook was born in Clark county, June 1, 1861, and departed this life June 24, 1936, aged 75 years and 23 days.
She was married to Robert Kirby June 8, 1879. To this union were born ten children, five of whom preceded her in death, Maude Mulvina, Edward, Homer Forest, Marie Elsie, and Robert Everett. Her husband died March 28, 1899.
On December 23, 1913, she was married to Gilbert Cook, who departed this life February 6, 1933.
She leaves two sons, Charles Maynard Kirby of Bisbee, Arizona, and Arthur Stephen Kirby of Yale; three daughters, Mrs. Anna Drinkwater of Yale, Mrs. Josie Jeffers of Hunt City, and Mrs. Lewis Butkett of Kimmundy; five sisters, Mrs. Sarah Hammond and Mrs. Sarah Page of Martinsville, Mrs. Cornelia Gilbert of Denton, Texas, and Mrs. Inez Leitzman and Mrs. Jennie Rodrus of Terre Haute; and many grand and great grand-children and a host of other relatives and friends.
[end of attachment]
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bill Cook 31 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
galook 3 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Bill Cook 5 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Doug Kirby 6 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
sharlynn34 20 Dec 2004 12:07PM GMT 
Ledbetter6466 5 Jul 2012 5:35AM GMT 
Abigail Beth ... 26 Dec 2007 7:01PM GMT 
raycyrusburky... 26 Jun 2012 8:22PM GMT 
raycyrusburky... 7 Jul 2012 6:12AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions