Search for content in message boards

The Mystery of the Death Certificate - Calhoun County, Michigan

Replies: 0

The Mystery of the Death Certificate - Calhoun County, Michigan

Posted: 12 Jul 2010 8:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KNICKERBOCKER, ALDRICH
Posting this in the hope that someday, somewhere out there, someone can help me solve this Knickerbocker mystery.
My research centers in the Knickerbocker families of Calhoun County, Michigan. Two of these gentlemen, William M. Knickerbocker and his nephew Myron R. Knickerbocker, have bios in the History of Calhoun Co., Mich., which tells us that William M. and John H. (father of Myron R.) were sons of Hugh Laurens Knickerbocker and Rachel Scram/Schram of Dutchess Co., New York. John settled in Genesee Co., NY, where he died in 1829, and William went there to take care of his farm. Then. both William and Myron settled in Calhoun Co., Mich. in the 1830's.

Next, I have our relative, Silas Knickerbocker, born New York State about 1808, parents yet unknown. Silas married Lucy Aldrich in Ontario County, NY, in Dec. 1827. Silas and Lucy's parents came to Macomb Co., Mich. about 1833. Calhoun Co. and Macomb Co. are located in different parts of Michigan. Silas and Lucy had three children who lived to adulthood, Theopholis, Albert, and Lucy. Silas and Lucy were divorced Feb. 4, 1850; the divorce was in Washtenaw Co., Mich., where Silas married a widow, Marietta Perkins nee Hopkins on Feb. 13th and both were in Marengo Twp., Calhoun Co. Mich. in the 1850 census. (Lucy remained in Macomb Co.) Silas and Marietta had one daughter, Ida, born 25 Jan. 1852 in Marengo Twp. Silas died in Sheridan Twp., Calhoun Co., 4 Aug. 1875.

Now for the mystery, and we go back to Myron of the first paragraph. Myron and his wife Sara Waldo had a son Charles, born 1853 in Albion, Calhoun Co. Charles' death certificate (died 29 Nov. 1829, died Albion) lists Silas Knickerbocker, b. NY, and "Marian" ie Marietta, b. NY as his parents. I have confirmed that this Charles is Myron's son. Why is Silas' name on his death certificate?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions