Search for content in message boards

Absalom Knotts Sr.

Replies: 2

Absalom Knotts Sr.

Posted: 26 Jan 2002 9:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Oct 2005 3:02PM GMT
Can anyone verify Absalom' Revolutionary War service?

The Story related by Nancy Knotts Hoffman as sent me by Robert Homer Knotts, Mulberry. FL says that Absalom was in the C-in-C Guard- that he was butchering a beef and put a piece of liver on a stick to roast in the fire. He was called away. When he returned he found someone had taken it - he struck him. When this was reported to Washington who reportedly said "Son the man who won't fight for his belly won't fight for his country. Go now, but don't do it anymore"

I have a vague memory of having seen this story in some book many years ago. Can anyone confirm that source? It might help to answer my question.

In that same account it is said that Absalom heard a turkey gobble and went forth from his cabin with a rifle to kill same. What he found was an Indian whom he shot. That story is repeated in most particulars attributed to another frontier resident on the Buckhannon just south of Knottsville by McWhorter in EARLY SETTLERS OF NORTHWESTERN VIRGINIA. Also in that book the habit of Indians using that particular ruse is further documented. This last lends some credibility to the reported incidents in that memoir by Nancy Knotts Hoffman - not just tales to amuse the grandkids.

Pete`
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Pkcar 26 Jan 2002 4:26PM GMT 
Bob_Knotts 4 Sep 2002 7:43AM GMT 
Pete Carrell 4 Sep 2002 8:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic