Descendants of Jacob Wlheim KortÃ¼m
Generation No. 1
1. JACOB WLHEIM1 KORTÃœM was born Abt. 1790 in Germany. He married CHRISTINA MARGARETHA DACHERN.
Child of JACOB KORTÃœM and CHRISTINA DACHERN is:
2. i. PETER HINRICH2 KORTÃœM, b. Abt. 1810, Germany.
Generation No. 2
2. PETER HINRICH2 KORTÃœM (JACOB WLHEIM1) was born Abt. 1810 in Germany. He married CHRISTINA MAGDALENA KRUSE March 18, 1835 in Grossenbrode, daughter of DETLEV KRUSE and ANNA RADDEN. She was born Abt. 1814 in Germany.
More About PETER KORTÃœM and CHRISTINA KRUSE:
Marriage: March 18, 1835, Grossenbrode
Children of PETER KORTÃœM and CHRISTINA KRUSE are:
i. ANNA MARGARETHA3 KORTÃœM, b. Abt. 1836; m. HANS PETER WENDT, December 20, 1857, Burg, Fehmarn; b. Abt. 1831.
More About HANS PETER WENDT:
More About HANS WENDT and ANNA KORTÃœM:
Marriage: December 20, 1857, Burg, Fehmarn
ii. MATTHIAS JACOB GEORG KORTÃœM, b. Abt. 1838, Grossenbrode; d. November 1921, Elmore, Victoria, Australia; m. ROSINA AMELIA SMITH, January 28, 1867, St. Marys R.C., Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia; b. Abt. 1847, Sydney, NSW, Australia; d. 1915, Elmore, Victoria, Australia.
More About MATTHIAS KORTÃœM and ROSINA SMITH:
Marriage: January 28, 1867, St. Marys R.C., Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
3. iii. GEORG JACOB KORTÃœM, b. March 04, 1846, Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn Island, Germany; d. August 07, 1919, Manning, Carroll Co., IA.
iv. PETER EDUARD KORTÃœM, b. July 18, 1848, Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn Germany.
v. AMALIE DOROTHEA KORTÃœM, b. February 18, 1850, Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn Germany.
vi. JOHANNE GERTRUDE KORTÃœM, b. June 09, 1852, Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn Germany; m. MATTHIAS KLATT, 1870.
More About MATTHIAS KLATT and JOHANNE KORTÃœM:
vii. HANS PETER KORTÃœM, b. March 09, 1854, Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn Germany.
viii. SOPHIE ELISE KORTÃœM, b. December 29, 1856, Landkirchen, Fehmarn, Germany.
ix. JOHANN NICOLAUS WILHELM KORTÃœM, b. October 29, 1859, Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn Germany.
Generation No. 3
3. GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM (PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1) was born March 04, 1846 in Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn Island, Germany, and died August 07, 1919 in Manning, Carroll Co., IA. He married JOHANNA MARIA RASMUS December 11, 1867 in Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn, Germany, daughter of CHRISTIAN HINZ and JOAHNNA RASMUSSEN. She was born March 14, 1845 in Landkirchen, Fehmarn Island, Germany, and died September 19, 1915 in Manning, Carroll Co., IA.
Notes for GEORG JACOB KORTÃœM:
1900 Federal Census for Iowa, Crawford County, Iowa Township, District 10, Enumeration District No. 63, Sheet 9(B) (Iowa, Crawford County, Roll 426 Book 2, Page 245) Shows the Kortums as Jacob head of household, Johanna his wife, and three children: Fred age 19, Rosa age 14, and Mary age 12. Jacob is a Farmer, born in Germany, migrating to the United States in 1881, and that he, his wife and son had been in the United States for 19 years.
The census also shows a "boarder" living in their househould, a 16 year old named Rames Hermann born January of 1884 from Germany and that Jacob came to America in 1879.
March 17, 1879, an F. Kortum was registered as a passenger in the Saloon of the SS Germanic. He is a male, 33 years old, signed on as a merchant.
Also of note, in the 1900 US Census there is a Fredrick Kortum and his wife Caroline living in the Whit Township with their daugher Sallium. This Fredrick Kortum was born Dec. 1840. Caroline was born October of 1848. Sallium was born May of 1886. Caroline had 7 children of which 5 are living. Both Fredrick and Caroline were born in Germany, Sallium was born in Illinois. Fredrick came to the United States in 1864, Caroline in 1871. He is listed as a clergyman.
More About GEORG JACOB KORTÃœM:
Burial: Manning, Carroll Co., IA
Occupation: Farmer per 1900 Census
Notes for JOHANNA MARIA RASMUS:
According to the 1900 US Census for Iowa, Crawford County, Roll 426 Book 2, Page 245, Johanna had 13 children, of which 9 were living.
She came to the United States in 1881 with her husband.
More About JOHANNA MARIA RASMUS:
Burial: Manning, Carroll Co., IA
More About GEORG KORTÃœM and JOHANNA RASMUS:
Marriage: December 11, 1867, Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn, Germany
Children of GEORG KORTÃœM and JOHANNA RASMUS are:
i. EMMA AMALIE AGNES4 KORTUM, b. January 30, 1868, Landkirchen, Fehmarn, Germany.
4. ii. JACOB FREDRIDK KORTUM, b. April 01, 1870, Landkirchen, Fehmarn, Germany; d. 1958, Hastings, Kansas.
5. iii. ERNESTINE JOHANNE HENRIETTE KORTUM, b. May 09, 1871, Landkirchen, Fehmarn, Germany; d. December 1953, Manning, Carroll, Iowa.
iv. CARL JACOB PETER KORTUM, b. October 06, 1872, Landkirchen, Fehmarn, Germany.
Notes for CARL JACOB PETER KORTUM:
There is a Peter Kortum listed Denver Land Office Records, 1862-1908
Surname Given Name Bureau of Land Management/ Township / Direction Range / Direction Type
KORTUM PETER 6 9 North 54
Book: West Timber Culture Act Register of Timber Culture Entries
In the 1900 U.S. Census, Layton Township, Pottawattamie County, Iowa
Series: T623 Microfilm: 456 Book: 1 Page: 175
Peter Kortum listed as a servant, born in October of 1872, coming to America from Germany in 1800. Noted that he has been in the United States for 20 years.
Peter Kortum found in:
Germans to America, 1875-1888
Occupation Code: Farmer
Last Residence: Unknown
Final Destination: USA
Port of Embarkation: Hamburg
Manifest ID Number: 37722
Ship's Name: Rhaetia
Date of Arrival: Apr. 30, 1884
More About CARL JACOB PETER KORTUM:
v. META MARGARETHA KORTUM, b. November 25, 1873, Landkirchen, Fehmarn, Germany.
6. vi. FRED KORTUM, b. 1880, Schleswig, Germany; d. 1958.
7. vii. EMMA ROSA KORTUM, b. October 1885, Iowa.
viii. MARY KORTUM, b. November 1887.
Notes for MARY KORTUM:
Database: St. Louis City Death Records, 1850-1908
Name: Kortum, Mary C
Death Date: 22 Sep 1895
Address: 3663 Pine
County Library: RDSL 41
Missouri Archive: C 10397
SLGS Roll: 327.00
Note: The above information is not confirmed as relating to our Mary.
Another Mary Kortum, whose birthdate/age matches our Mary, is found in the 1920 US Census living in Pennsylvania â€¢ Allegheny â€¢ Kilbuck â€¢ ED# 121, working at the hospitol as a nurse.
8. ix. HANNAH MARIA KORTUM, b. May 09, 1876, Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn, Germany; d. February 1965, Kalispell, Montana.
Generation No. 4
4. JACOB FREDRIDK4 KORTUM (GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1)1 was born April 01, 1870 in Landkirchen, Fehmarn, Germany2, and died 1958 in Hastings, Kansas. He married DAISY MAE NICKUM3 Bef. 1904 in Manning, IA4, daughter of JACOB NICKUM and CYNTHA HAYS. She was born November 11, 1882 in Manning, Carroll Co., IA, and died June 15, 1945 in Rawlins, Wyoming4.
Notes for JACOB FREDRIDK KORTUM:
Came to the United States in 1881 with his father and mother and was about a year old when he crossed the Atlantic.
JACOB KORTUM, 88, DIES UNEXPECTEDLY
Jacob Kortum, a resident of Hastings for many years who more recently had spent a greater part of his time in McAllen, Texas, died unexpectedly early Saturday at the home of Mr. and Mrs. R.K. Hinrichs on Route One with whom he had been a guest. He was 88 years of age.
Kortum had returned to Hastings only this week for a visit with his friends over the community, planning to go back to Texas later in the summer. He was discharged from a Veterans Administration Hospital in Temple, Texas, late in April, after having been a patient there for a time.
Kortum was born April 1, 1870, on Lepkenhosen Island, Germany. He was a veteran of the Spanish-American War.
Survivors are his sons, Chester of Rawlins, Wyoming, LeRoy of Los Angeles, California, Clifford of Pocatello, Idaho, Max of Grand Island, New York, and Wilson of Oxnard, California; a number of grandchildren and three sisters and a brother, including Mrs. Rosa Dammann of Manning, Iowa, and Peter Kortum of Minneapolis.
Services are set tentatively for Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock in the Butler-Volland Chapel. Burial will be in Manning, Iowa.
Is listed as a resident of Hastings, Nebraska when serving as a private with Company K, 3rd Nebraska Regiment in the Spanish American War.
Jacob F. Kortum
1870 - 1958
Private Company K Regiment Nebraska Infantry
Jacob F. grave site has the Woodmen of the World emblem
Father - Jacob Kortum 1846 - 1919
Mother - Johanna M. Kortum 1845 - 1915
Jacob, Jacob & Johanna are buried in the Manning Cemetery.
Section C Row #13 north - south.
In the 1930 US Census we find Jacob F. Kortum living as a boarder in Hastings, Adams Co., Nebraska, roll: T626_1265, Page 2A, Ed 13, Image 0285.
More About JACOB FREDRIDK KORTUM:
Ancestral File No.: FHH5-6Q
Burial: Manning, Carroll Co., IA
Notes for DAISY MAE NICKUM:
Two Newspaper Clippings about Grandma Kortum:
MRS. KORTUM DIES SUDDENLY IN CITY
Another loved and respected resident and mother in Rawlins was taken early yesterday morning when Mrs. Daisy Mae Kortum, 62, died at Memorial Hospital following a very brief serious illness.
While Mrs. Kortum had been in declining health for some time, it was not unitl approximately two weeks ago that she began ailing rapidly. Her condition suddenly became critical at 2:40 o'clock yesterday morning and she was rushed to Memorial Hospital, her death occurring at 3 a.m.
Mrs. Kortum was born on November 11, 1882 at Manning, IA., and she spent most of her life there. She was married in Manning to J.F. Kortum and the couple resided at various cities in that state. Her frist trip to Rawlins was in 1924 when she came here to visit her cousin, the late Walter Eckman.
In December of the following year she left this city for Rapid City, S.D., and then returned to Rawlins in 1935 to be near her son, Chester Kortum, who is employed as switchman in the local yards of the Union Pacific Railroad. For several years she and her son lived in Green River, Mrs. Kortum joining the Auxilary to the B. of R. T. while in that city.
Two weeks ago when she began ailing rapidly she was moved from her home to that of her son, Chester, at 313 Mahoney Street.
Immediate surviving relatives include four sons, Maxwell A. Kortum of Buffalo, N.Y., who came to Rawlins last Saturday and then left again the forepart of this week for his home and who returned again to this city last night; Chester Kortum of Rawlins; and Le Roy Kortum who is erving as a radio operator with the Merchant Marines and who is now in the South Pacific; and three brothers, Joe Nickum of Denver, Lawrence Nickum and Henry Nickum both of Manning, IA.
The body of Mrs. Kortum is at the McKelvey Funeral Home Pending funeral and burial arrangements.
FULERAL SERVICES ARE HELD FOR MRS. KORTUM
Funeral services for Mrs. Daisy Mae Kortum were held at 3:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon from the McKelvey Funeral Home, the Rev. William J. Marshall conducting the services. The body was shipped last night to Manning, IA., where burial will be made.
Mrs. Kortum, who had resided in Rawlins for a number of years, died at Memorial Hospital early last Friday Morning.
Accompanying the body were her sons, Clifford, Wilson, Maxwell and Chester. Mrs. Chester Kortum also accompanied her husband to Manning for the burial services.
More About DAISY MAE NICKUM:
Ancestral File No.: FHH5-6Q
Burial: Manning, Carroll Co., IA
More About JACOB KORTUM and DAISY NICKUM:
Marriage: Bef. 1904, Manning, IA4
Children of JACOB KORTUM and DAISY NICKUM are:
9. i. LEROY F.5 KORTUM, b. June 20, 1904, Iowa; d. January 11, 1990, San Jacinto, Riverside, California.
10. ii. JOSEPH CLIFFORD KORTUM, SR., b. September 06, 1906, Perry, Iowa; d. July 23, 1982, Umatilla County, Oregon.
iii. MAXWELL A. KORTUM4, b. September 06, 1908, Manning, Carroll Co., Iowa; d. September 25, 1996, Tuscon, Arizona.
Notes for MAXWELL A. KORTUM:
At the time of Daisy Mae's death, Maxwell was residing in Buffalo, New York per Daisy's obituary found in Joseph Kortum Jr.'s diary.
More About MAXWELL A. KORTUM:
Burial: June 1945, Lived in Buffalo, N.Y.4
Residence @ death: 85713 Tucson, Pima, AZ
Social Security Number: 379-07-8011 MI (Before 1951)
iv. CHESTER KORTUM4, b. June 25, 1910, Iowa ?; d. March 1983, Thatcher, Arizona.
Notes for CHESTER KORTUM:
Name: KORTUM, CHESTER
Birth: 25 Jun 1910
Death: March 1983
Death State: AZ
Last Known Residence: Thatcher, AZ 8552
More About CHESTER KORTUM:
Fact: Manning, Carroll Co., Iowa High School Graduate of 1930
Residence @ death: 85552 Thatcher, Graham, AZ
Social Security Number: 712-09-5352 R.R. Retirement (Before 1951)
11. v. WOODROW WILSON KORTUM, b. November 25, 1912, Manning, Iowa; d. February 23, 1999, San Diego, California.
5. ERNESTINE JOHANNE HENRIETTE4 KORTUM (GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1) was born May 09, 1871 in Landkirchen, Fehmarn, Germany, and died December 1953 in Manning, Carroll, Iowa. She married JACK FRITZ. He was born 1862 in Pennsylvania, and died 1901 in Manning, Carroll, Iowa.
Children of ERNESTINE KORTUM and JACK FRITZ are:
i. LOUIS5 FRITZ.
ii. MARTY FRITZ.
iii. FRED FRITZ.
iv. JAY FRITZ.
v. ABIGAIL FRITZ.
6. FRED4 KORTUM (GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1) was born 1880 in Schleswig, Germany, and died 1958. He married DORA5. She was born 1884 in Iowa.
More About FRED KORTUM:
Children of FRED KORTUM and DORA are:
i. MARY5 KORTUM7, b. Abt. 1903.
ii. MARGARET KORTUM8, b. Abt. 1906.
iii. FRED KORTUM, JR.8, b. Abt. 1909.
Notes for FRED KORTUM, JR.:
Freddie Kortum In Pacific
Mrs. Anna Fritz received a letter recently from her niece, stating that her nephew, Freddie Kortum, formerly of Manning, is stationed in a remote section of the Pacific with a small band of navy men.
Fred has been in the navy for several years, this being his third term. He would like to hear from some of his old friends.
His address is Fred Kortum Jr., C.C.C.M., Navy 8035, c-o Fleet P. O., San Francisco, Calif.
7. EMMA ROSA4 KORTUM (GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1) was born October 1885 in Iowa. She married HENRY DAMMANN9 Abt. 1900 in Manning, Carroll Co., Iowa, son of CLAUS DAMMANN and MARGARET. He was born Abt. 1880 in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.
Notes for HENRY DAMMANN:
State: MN Year: 1880
County: Sibley County Record Type: Federal Population Schedule
Township: Green Isle Page: 230
Database: MN 1880 Federal Census Index
State: IL Year: 1880
County: Cook County Record Type: Federal Population Schedule
Township: Chicago E.D.145 W. 14 Page: 276
Database: IL 1880 Federal Census Index
State: TX Year: 1870
County: Guadalupe County Record Type: Federal Population Schedule
Township: Seguin P. O. Page: 395
Database: TX 1870 Federal Census Index
Other Dammanns buried in Iowa
Long Grove Cemetery Records, Scott County, Iowa:
Dammann,Jasper 8-5-1824 3-30-1901
Dammann,Magdalena 1865 1925
Dammann,Margareta 1-31-1873 5-17-1936
Dammann,Sophia 2-22-1837 4-28-1906
Dammann,William H 1863 1936
Claus and Margaret Dammann were born, raised and married and started their family in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. In 1885, they and their two sons, Henry and John, migrated to the United States and settled in Minnesota. There, their family grew by three more - Annie, George, and Bill. In 1891, they moved to a farm two miles south and a mile west of Manning where Claus made his living as a farmer. Another son, Herman, a daughter, Emma and another son, Harry completed the family of Claus and Margaret.
Henry (known best as Hank), the eldest son, was married in 1900 to Emma Kortum. They first made their home and living on a farm just east of Templeton and then later moved to the Douglas Rogers farm 1 mile north and 1/2 mile east of Manning. Eventually, they, too (as Hank's parents) lived and farmed at the farm south and west of Manning. It was at this farm that the Dammanns had a small dairy herd. Like all farmers of that day, they separated their milk maybe a little differently. They used a small pony to "power" their separator.
Emma and Hank were parents of five children: Vena, Rosie, Hazel, Goldie and Lester.
After some time Hank quit farming and moved to the town of Manning. Here he owned a livery barn. The first barn was located on Main Street in the area now occupied by the Manning Plaza; later he and his brother, John, moved their livery barn to what is now Manning Motor Company. Another brother, Herman, worked with them. They maintained a few horses which could be rented for those needing a mode of travel or for funerals and weddings. Another service was to stable horses of travelers and, particularly, for the many who came to dance at the Manning dance hall located near the barn.
Following many years in the livery barn business, Hank became town constable for Manning. It was his job to serve any legal papers, evict non-paying renters, and, in general, keep the peace.
The only son of Hank and Emma, Lester, married Ruby Cavanaugh of Audubon and they, too, soon settled in the Manning area. The depression hit and Lester considered himself one of the lucky ones - he was working. He was a common laborer at the ManCryCo Farms, a dairy operation near Manning. They purchased a small acreage in the nearby village of Aspinwall and Lester continued to work at the farms. In 1946, Lester became herdsman of the ManCryCo herd. It was then that they moved from Aspinwall to the farm on the northwest edge of Manning's city limits. In 1963, Lester and Ruby purchased the dairy farm and herd from owner, Leo Bruck, and continued to build the well-known herd.
One of the largest dairy dispersals ever held in Iowa was held at the farm in September of 1974 when the dairy herd was sold.
Lester and Ruby continue to live at the farm and still have a crop, pig, and stock cow operation -- and sometimes a small milking herd.
They are parents of six children: LeRoy, who farms west of Manning; Richard, owner-operator of Manning Auto Supply; Sandra (Mrs. Keith Hass), secretary and agent at Manning Insurance Agency; Geraldine (Mrs. Kenneth Spies), bookkeeper at Manning Heating & Sheet Metal, all of Manning. Youngest daughter, Nancy (Mrs. DeWayne McCord) of Carroll, clerks at a department store there. Another son, Kenneth, was tragically killed in a car-pedestrian accident in Cedar Falls, in 1973. At the time of his death, Kenneth was serving as state president 'of the Iowa Chapter of the Epilepsy Foundation of America.
The newest generation of the Dammann family consists of a total of 14 grandchildren - 12 of whom attend school at the Manning Community School.
More About HENRY DAMMANN and EMMA KORTUM:
Marriage: Abt. 1900, Manning, Carroll Co., Iowa
Children of EMMA KORTUM and HENRY DAMMANN are:
12. i. ROSIE5 DAMMANN, b. July 22, 1901, Manning, Carroll County, Iowa; d. February 22, 1985.
ii. VENA DAMMANN, b. Bef. 1901.
iii. HAZEL DAMMANN, b. Aft. 1901.
iv. GOLDIE DAMMANN.
v. LESTER DAMMANN, b. Manning, Carroll Co., Iowa; m. RUBY CAVANAUGH; b. Of., Audubon.
8. HANNAH MARIA4 KORTUM (GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1) was born May 09, 1876 in Lemkenhafen, Fehmarn, Germany, and died February 1965 in Kalispell, Montana. She married PETER HAAS.
Notes for HANNAH MARIA KORTUM:
Johanna Kortum married Peter Hass in Iowa, and they moved to Wyoming around Wheatland, and owned and lived on a ranch in the early 1900's. Johanna and Peter Hass were divorced. Peter returned to Iowa and Johanna stayed at the farm. She sold the farm and moved to Kalispell, Montana in the 1920's.
Children of HANNAH KORTUM and PETER HAAS are:
i. LEON G.5 HAAS, b. February 11, 1895, Manning, Carroll County, Iowa; d. Manning, Carroll County, Iowa.
Notes for LEON G. HAAS:
Leon, my grandfather, lived in Manning, Iowa the rest of his life. He had a shoe store where he sold and repaired shoes. Best shoe repairman there ever was.
-Portia Haynes (6-2-02)
ii. ALFRED HAAS, b. September 27, 1896, Manning, Carroll County, Iowa; d. Chicago, IL.
Notes for ALFRED HAAS:
Alfred: A railroad night watchman, was killed in the railyards in Chicago in the 1950's. His killer or killers were never found.
-Portia Haynes (6-2-02)
iii. HARRY H. HAAS, b. February 27, 1905, Manning, Carroll County, Iowa; d. 1962, Idaho.
Notes for HARRY H. HAAS:
Harry: Ran off and was never seen again, or heard from, by any of his family. After his death in 1962 it was discovered that he had been living in Idaho, and he and the lady he ran off with, and lived with, had a son. I have been in touch with them as have other family members. They seem to be very nice people. Uncle Harry had a bar in Woodward, Iowa, and ran bootleg booze out of Chicago for Al Capone during prohibition.
--Portia Haynes (6-2-02)
Generation No. 5
9. LEROY F.5 KORTUM (JACOB FREDRIDK4, GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1)10 was born June 20, 1904 in Iowa, and died January 11, 1990 in San Jacinto, Riverside, California. He married RUTH. She was born Abt. 1904 in Missouri.
Notes for LEROY F. KORTUM:
Another source shows that Leroy was born July 03, 1915 and died September 1972.
More About LEROY F. KORTUM:
Burial: June 1945, Radio Operator for Mechant Marines in South Pacific10
Fact: Manning, Carroll Co., Iowa High School Graduate of 1922
Residence @ death: 92581 San Jacinto, Riverside, CA
Social Security Number: 707-05-7345
Children of LEROY KORTUM and RUTH are:
i. DOLLIE I.6 KORTUM, b. 1924, Missouri.
ii. NORMA L. KORTUM, b. 1925, Missouri.
10. JOSEPH CLIFFORD5 KORTUM, SR. (JACOB FREDRIDK4, GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1)10 was born September 06, 1906 in Perry, Iowa10, and died July 23, 1982 in Umatilla County, Oregon10. He married ABBIE ELVIRA FULLER10, daughter of JOHN FULLER and ABIGAIL WALLACE. She was born November 29, 1908 in Evanston, Wyoming10, and died in Living.
Notes for JOSEPH CLIFFORD KORTUM, SR.:
Social Security Index:
Birth Date: 8 Sep 1906
Death Date: Jul 1982
Social Security Number: 712-05-1016
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Railroad Board
Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 83204
Localities: Bannock, Bannock, Idaho
Pocatello, Bannock, Idaho
In the 1930 U.S. Census we find Joseph living with his wife Abbey and son Joseph, Jr. in the Green River Township, Sweetwater County, Wyoming. Living with the Kortums is a boarder named Leo M. Lantz, 35 years old of Nebraska.
More About JOSEPH CLIFFORD KORTUM, SR.:
Burial: Pocatello, Bannock County, Idaho
Social Security Number: 712-05-1016 R.R. Retirement (Before 1951)
Children of JOSEPH KORTUM and ABBIE FULLER are:
13. i. JOSEPH CLIFFORD6 KORTUM, JR., b. January 25, 1927, Wyoming; d. July 28, 1989, Long Beach, Washington.
ii. GEORGIA LEE KORTUM10, b. April 08, 1933, Living10; d. Living; m. DON DIXON10; b. Living; d. Living.
iii. ROBERT W. KORTUM10, b. December 06, 1937, Living10; d. Living.
11. WOODROW WILSON5 KORTUM (JACOB FREDRIDK4, GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1)10 was born November 25, 1912 in Manning, Iowa, and died February 23, 1999 in San Diego, California. He married MARGIE THOMPSON. She was born in Living.
Notes for WOODROW WILSON KORTUM:
Served with the Department of the Navy, beginning in November 1946 when accepting a position at the Advance Base Depot, Port Hueneme, as a temporary railroad conductor, working at this position almost one year before being laid off due to a reduction in force. In 1956 he returned to civil service as an electronics mechanic in the Technical Service Department, Electronics Shops Division, Naval Air Missile Test Center, Point Mugu. During the next three years he was often detailed as a member of the special CORVUS Task Group to San Nicolas Island (SNI). In 1960 he was promoted to electronics technician and transferred to the Range Operations Department, Test Communications Division on SNI. Two years later he was promoted to GS-11, Electronics Maintenance Technician (Radio). In 1967 he was promoted to supervisor and worked in various key positions including microwave, command destruct and fixed ground radio wireless remote control systems. Since 1973 he had been supervisor in charge of all radio frequency communication functions on SNI. "You have provided technical expertise and a professional attitude that have contributed to the Navy's success in supporting annually over two thousand range operations including PHOENIX, TOMAHAWK, F-14, TRIDENT, HARPOO, MINUTEMAN, PEACKEEPER, and Fleet Excercises. Your skill and knowledge in the field of communications are recognized throughout the Division. Throughout your tenure at the Pacific Missile Test Center and especially at San Nicolas Island, you have been a valuable member of the Range Operations Department. Your operational expertise will be greatly missed."
--Letter from W.E. Newman, Rear Admiral, US Navy, Commander, Pacific Missile Test Center regarding his retirement, dated 21 December, 1990.
More About WOODROW WILSON KORTUM:
Residence @ death: 92088 Fallbrook, San Diego, CA
Social Security Number: 712-05-5559 R.R. Retirement (Before 1951)
More About WOODROW KORTUM and MARGIE THOMPSON:
Divorce: Abt. 1957
Children of WOODROW KORTUM and MARGIE THOMPSON are:
i. KATHLEEN6 KORTUM, b. Living.
ii. ROBERT DOUGLAS KORTUM, b. Living.
iii. UNKNOWN KORTUM.
iv. UNKNOWN KORTUM.
v. UNKNOWN KORTUM.
vi. UNKNOWN KORTUM.
12. ROSIE5 DAMMANN (EMMA ROSA4 KORTUM, GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1) was born July 22, 1901 in Manning, Carroll County, Iowa, and died February 22, 1985. She married WILLIAM J. SCHROEDER March 23, 1921 in Denison, Crawford County, Iowa. He was born October 24, 1898 in Of., Aspinwall, Crawford County, Iowa, and died March 25, 1973 in Denison, Crawford County, Iowa.
More About WILLIAM J. SCHROEDER:
Burial: March 27, 1973, Mann Cemetery, Manning, Carroll Co., Iowa
Fact: Church member Trinity Lutheran Church, Manilla, Crawford County, Iowa
Occupation: Bet. 1917 - 1963, Section foreman for the Milwaukee Railroad
More About WILLIAM SCHROEDER and ROSIE DAMMANN:
Marriage: March 23, 1921, Denison, Crawford County, Iowa
Child of ROSIE DAMMANN and WILLIAM SCHROEDER is:
i. LAVERNE6 SCHROEDER, b. April 27, 1922.
Generation No. 6
13. JOSEPH CLIFFORD6 KORTUM, JR. (JOSEPH CLIFFORD5, JACOB FREDRIDK4, GEORG JACOB3 KORTÃœM, PETER HINRICH2, JACOB WLHEIM1)10 was born January 25, 1927 in Wyoming10, and died July 28, 1989 in Long Beach, Washington10. He married (1) MARJORIE COLLEEN MORRIS10, daughter of GRANT MORRIS and JUDITH KAUFMAN. She was born September 11, 1932 in Manhatten, Mt., and died in Living. He married (2) LEOLA. She was born August 03, 1927 in Idaho, and died January 01, 1998 in Pocatello, Bannock County, Idaho. He married (3) KATE.
Notes for JOSEPH CLIFFORD KORTUM, JR.:
Birth Date: 25 Jan 1928
Death Date: 28 Jul 1989
Social Security Number: 518-26-2237
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Idaho
More About JOSEPH CLIFFORD KORTUM, JR.:
Burial: Pocatello, Bannock County, Idaho
Social Security Number: 518-26-2237
More About LEOLA:
Social Security Number: 519-22-8180
Children of JOSEPH KORTUM and MARJORIE MORRIS are:
i. JOSEPH GRANT KORTUM7 SWALLOW10, b. May 26, 1951, Pocatello, Bannock Co., Idaho10; d. Living; m. SHARON MARIE SCHAECK10, March 03, 1979, Anaheim, California10; b. December 27, 1949, Alhambra, California10; d. Living.
More About JOSEPH SWALLOW and SHARON SCHAECK:
Marriage: March 03, 1979, Anaheim, California10
ii. MICHAEL DALE KORTUM SWALLOW10, b. May 10, 1953, Pocatello, Bannock Co., Idaho10; d. Living.
More About MICHAEL DALE KORTUM SWALLOW:
Burial: May 10, 1953, Born: Pocatello, Idaho 8320110
Child of JOSEPH KORTUM and KATE is:
iii. DAVID7 KORTUM, b. Pocatello, Bannock Co., Idaho.
1. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Ancestral File (R), Copyright (c) 1987, June 1998, data as of 5 January 1998, AFN: FHH5-6Q.
2. v83t1245.ged, Date of Import: May 8, 2001.
3. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Ancestral File (R), Copyright (c) 1987, June 1998, data as of 5 January 1998, AFN: FHH5-6Q.
4. v83t1245.ged, Date of Import: May 8, 2001.
5. Census of 1920, Census of 1920, State: IowaCounty: CarrollWarren TownshipPage: 11B ED: 66 Image: 1033 Roll: T625_481.
6. Census of 1920, Census of 1920, State: IowaCounty: CarrollWarren TownshipPage: 11B ED: 66 Image: 1033 Roll: T625_481 .
7. Census of 1920, State: IowaCounty: CarrollWarren TownshipPage: 11B ED: 66 Image: 1033 Roll: T625_481 .
8. Census of 1920, Census of 1920, State: IowaCounty: CarrollWarren TownshipPage: 11B ED: 66 Image: 1033 Roll: T625_481.
10. v83t1245.ged, Date of Import: May 8, 2001.