Search for content in message boards

Kunkle, Johnstown,PA/ Augusta Steinbring; Kunkel Elkhart, IN

Replies: 6

Re: Kunkle, Johnstown,PA/ Augusta Steinbring; Kunkel Elkhart, IN

Thomas E. Boyer (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2006 5:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have just finished [May 2006] viewing LDS films back to 1817 for Witkowo, Posen. Posen is a large place - that was my problem, one. Posen is a State, Posen is a county [Kreis}, Posen is a city. It is like saying, New York City in New York County in New York State. So a "Posen" search has to be specific. My researcher found my g-father in Kreis [county]Witkowo in the State of Posen. He was married in a civil marriage by a 'Justice of Peace' [Anglo speak] in the City of Witkowo. The church that served a large part of that area was located in Schidlowitz [City] [Ger sp. ] [Pol. Sp Szydlowiec]
The church & civil records I finished back to 1817 were for these locations, Schidlowitz & Witkowo Civil. The name Kunkel is very common. There are probably hundreds. These were maternal Kunkels. I was less fortunate with research for my g-father whose marriage record was in Witkowo, for he was from the Kreis Mogilno, Posen State; about 20 miles north, and had relocated down to Witkowo City for work; - he was a shoemaker. He was born in Stary Gaj, Kreis Mogilno, population abt 40 souls, no longer on the map by that name.
[found on a 1914 Military map]. The church that served his town [Stary Gaj - 3-4 miles away] was in Josephowo, Kreis Mogilno. Those records [I am told] have never been microfilmed [if they even exist at all]; for that area was more devastated in WW II, even tho it is only a few miles north of Witkowo. They say the Lutheran churches of the area were made into Catholic churches after the war, and many documents that had Ger. writing were destroyed. Church records were sent by law, in duplicate to civil authorities in most areas, but I have not found any Evangelisch church records for the Josephowo church. City of Mogilno has many Catholic records but few to none, Lutheran.
All this to say you need to have a more definite location. Had my g-father had a 'church wedding' where he was born, I would most likely would have never found him.
I can give you more Kunkel data from Kreis Witkowo if you e-mail me directly, but it is a very small portion of the State of Posen.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Boyer, Thomas E 23 Oct 2005 11:48PM GMT 
Topsie3v 17 Jun 2006 5:18AM GMT 
Thomas E. Boyer 18 Jun 2006 11:07PM GMT 
Topsie3v 18 Jun 2006 11:57PM GMT 
tboyer7288 3 Nov 2008 12:20AM GMT 
tboyer7288 3 Nov 2008 12:18AM GMT 
tboyer7288 3 Nov 2008 12:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions