Search for content in message boards

Noah Landis Rockingham County VA?

Replies: 0

Noah Landis Rockingham County VA?

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 8:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Landis Landes
I'm doing some research for a friend who also has the surname Landis. I've gone back 5 generations and ran into a brick wall with an Ira Landis. I've spent countless hours on Ancestry and various other well known and honored sites looking for any link to this person's past, but can only find one possibility.

Ira M Landis (DoB 1847) shows up for the first time in Edgar County, IL Marriage Records in 1872. In all census records, his birth place is always listed as Virginia. Another family source provided me with some pages which look like they came from a family bible, which lists him as (Mahlon) Ira Landis, although any other records and his tombstone list him as Ira M Landis. The family document is the only place I could find a parent name. It lists Noah as the father, and no mother is listed. Ira is also listed as being in the Civil War Virginia Infantry, although I can't find him in any well known databases.

So what I have is an Ira M Landis(Landes) born in Virginia to Noah. There is a Noah Landes b 1914 and lived in Rockingham County, and another Noah from Shenandoah County DoB Abt 1836. In the 1850 or 1860 census there is a Jacob M Landes (DoB 1847) who is the son of Noah and Annie Landes in Rockingham County.

Would anyone have any knowledge of, or proof of the existance of an Ira M, Mahlon Ira Landis/Landes from Virginia? After months of research my only conclusion so far is that he left Virginia and may have changed his name for some unknown reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Landis

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions