SPENCER LAY, son of John M. and Rachel Foley Lay
-By John Spencer Jones-
Spencer Lay, the eldest son of John M. and Rachel Foley Lay, born Nov. 10, 1811 - died Oct. 29, 1883, married Lucinda Perkins, born nov. 21, 1815 died Aug. 15, 1904. Burial is in Red Cut Cemetery, Elk Valley, Tennessee. Their Children were:
1. John Lay, son of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay, born Oct. 3, 1834 - died June 2, 1895, married Apr. 7, 1853, Cynthia Stanfill born Oct. 17 1838 - died June 19, 1886. Burial is on the old homestead at Little Poplar Creek, Knox County, Kentucky. John Lay served as sheriff of Knox County and as representative of said county. It is said that John Lay sponsored the building of the bridge across Cumberland River. His name is on said bridge. Their children:
a. Lewis J. Lay, son of John and Cynthia Stanfill Lay, married Jane McCoy. They had five children: Mary C. Lay, born Oct. 3, 1879, married Apr. 21, 1896 James Hampton born Aug. 7, 1871 - died Feb. 23, 1917. Burial for James Hampton is on the old homestead, Little Poplar Creek, Knox County, Kentucky; John Fin Lay married Feb. 13, 1904 Rosie Burch;
b. Coy Lay married John W. Partin;
c. William (Bill) S. Lay married Pearl Golden;
d. and Mamie Lay married P. V. Stewart;
e. McClellan Lay, son of John and Cynthia Stanfill Lay, married Elizabeth Davis. They had six children: John King Lay, born May 3, 1882, married (1) Sarah Jennie Mays and (2) Liza Mills born Feb. 13, 1893. Children by first marriage were: Edward Lay married Bobbie Collins; Bertha Lay died at an early age; Perry M. Lay; Julia Cynthia Lay married Frank Sears. They had two children: Bertha Sears married W. A. Jones and William McClellan Sears married (1) Daisy Hinkle and (2) Virgie Hyslope; Jay Edward Lay married Julia Morgan; William A. Lay married Nannie Gibson; Eva Ellen Lay married Aug. 1, 1912 James A. Gibson, brother of Nannie Gibson; and Jesse Davis Lay, Superintendent of Knox County Public Schools married Nancy Carton;
f. William R. Lay, son of John and Cynthia Stanfill Lay married Jan. 10, 1907 Lizzie Morris. Their children were: Pauline Lay; Catherine Lay; and Dr. William R. Lay, Jr.
g. Lucinda Lay, daughter of John and Cynthia Stanfill Lay, born Aug. 29, 1857 - died Feb. 27, 1934, married (1) John Croley on Dec. 15, 1873 and (2) James Golden born Feb. 4, 1871 - died Aug. 12, 1920 on Jan. 8, 1896. Burial is on the old homestead at Little Poplar Creek, Knox County, Kentucky. Children by second marriage were: Dewey Golden and Luster Golden.
h. Minnervia Lay, daughter of John and Cynthia Stanfill Lay was born Feb. 16, 1862 - died Mar. 11, 1949. Their children were: Mary Ellen Croley, born Dec. 10, 1884, married Joe G. Mayne born June 7, 1880 - died Apr. 24, 1954. Their children were: Otis Mayne married Florence Ferguson; Stely Mayne married Nell Evans born July 8, 1900 - died Jan. 28, 1831; Myrtie Mayne married General Lako; Rady Mayne married Jim Partin; Winnie Mayne married Elmer Perkins; Bill Mayne married Lissie Maiden; Zelma Mayne married Clyde Bryant; Hubert Mayne married Juda Perkins; Cecil Mayne married Pearl White; and Roy Mayne married Edna Hampton. Lucinda Croley married William Davis and they had ten children: John T. Davis married Lura Pridemore; Joe
Davis married _________________; Jess Davis married Polly Bray; Henderson Davis married Mary Gatliff; Jerry Davis married_______, Jim E. Davis married Ruby Browning; Lydia Davis married (1) John Hatfield and (2) Glenn Hatfield; Minnie Davis married ________; Mary Davis married Siegel Bennett; and Jeff Davis married Edith Browning. Burial for Minervia Lay Croley is on the old homestead Little Poplar Creek, Knox County, Kentucky. Burial for Green Berry Croley is on Goldenâ€™s Creek, Whitley County, Kentucky.
i. Mary Hannah Lay, daughter of John and Cynthia Stanfill Lay,
Jim Leger Oct. 5, 1880. Their children were: Arch Leger married
Bertha Sharp; Frank Leger married Julia Bird; Allie Lewis Leger;
Jay Leger; Charley Leger; Ida Leger married Nick Pickard; Becky
Leger; Ledford Leger, and Noah Leger.
j. Madoline Lay, daughter of John and Cynthia Stanfill Lay, married
Jack Atwood Feb. 9, 1889. They had no children. Burial is on the
old homestead Little Poplar Creek, Knox Co., Kentucky. No marker.
k. Rhoda Lay, daugher of John and Cynthia Stanfill Lay, born June 16,
1855 - died Sept. 28, 1867. She fell out of an apple tree and killed
herself. Burial is on the old homestead Little Poplar Creek, Knox Co.
2. Peter Lay, son of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay, married Feb 14,
1856, Rebecca Croley. Their unm. Son, Spencer Lay, called
â€œBrother,â€ Martha, Sherman, Lucinda, Lizzie, Mary (married Sterling
3. Rachel Lay, daughter of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay, married
May 28, 1857, Harrison (H. H. ) Stanfill. They had four children:
Roann Stanfill married ___________Lovett; Martha Stanfill married
Neal Lovett, grand-parents of Eugene and Dr. Joe Lovett; Andy
Stanfill; and Elizabeth Stanfill married Leonard Meredith.
4. Martha (Patsy) Lay, daughter of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay,
was born Feb. 13, 1838 - died April 10, 1919, married Aug. 12, 1858,
to Lewis Lay born Feb. 27, 1840 - died July 22, 1898. Burial is in
Upper Marsh Creek Cemetery. Their children were: Cynthia Lay born
Sept. 30, 1861 - died May 22, 1935, married C. Ruff Anderson born
Aug. 12, 1861 - died Dec. 7, 1924; Preacher Thomas L. Lay born
March 1, 1873 - died Oct. 4, 1958, married March 9, 1893 Elizabeth
Meadors born Dec. 19, 1877 - died Sept. 3, 1950. Burial is in the
Upper Marsh Creek Cemetery, McCreary Co. Kentucky; Isham Lay,
age 24, son of Martha Lay and Lewis Lay married Nov. 15, 1897 Lula
Wilder age 22; Lucinda Lay, daughter of Martha Lay and Lewis Lay
married Nimb R. Angel; Ellen Lay, daughter of Martha Lay and Lewis
Lay married Sept. 8, 1892, R. C. Meadors; Nancy Lay, daughter of
Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay, married Sept. 15, 1864 to Lewis
5. Elizabeth (Betsey) Lay born Oct. 13, 1841 - died Feb. 1, 1896, married
Big Foot Michael Lay born Dec. 16, 1842 - died Nov. 12, 1931. Burial
for Elizabeth is in the Upper Marsh Creek Cemetery and for Big Foot
Michael Lay, Pleasant View Cemetery, Pleasant View, Kentucky. Their
children were: Spencer Lay born Jan. 14, 1860 died April 2, 1884.
Burial is in Gum Fork Cemetery, Scott County, Tennessee; Lewis P.
Lay, Jan. 17, 1866 - died Sept 27, 1943, married Permelia R.
Richardson, born Dec. 12, 1865 - died Sept 7, 1957. They had two children: J. Edd Lay born Nov. 23, 1896, died Apr. 28, 1902, and Baby Lay born Dec. 29, 1907. Burial in Highland Cemetery, Williamsburg, KY.; D. M. (Mitchell) Lay born about 1877, married (1) Susie E. Lay, born Oct 13, 1870 - died Dec. 3, 1896, and (2) Oct. 10, 1897, Mary E. Trammel, born about 1875. Burial for Susie E. Lay is in the Jellico Creek Cemetery, Whitley County, Kentucky; Lucinda Lay married _______________Woods.
6. Pryor Lay, son of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay born in 1843 - died June 14, 1910, married Nov. 8, 1863 Rebecca Stanfill born in 1848-died in 1912. Burial is in the Red Cut Cemetery, Elk Valley, Tennessee. Their children were: Shoe/String Michael Lay married Rachel Lay born Dec. 22, 1878-died nov. 7, 1927. Their daughter, Idessie Lay was born July 17, 1904-died Oct. 28, 1923; Cynthia Lay born about 1866, married Mar. 15, 1883 David Lay born about 1862. Their children were: Arizona Lay married Reden Lewallen; Rosie Lay married Sam LeWallen; Zella Lay married Maggie Lynch; Margaret Lay married (1) Reden Lewallen and (2) G. B. Creekmore; Mary Lay married John Lamb; Jesse Lay married Ella Creekmore; Melton Lay never married; Thomas Lay married Geneva Brooks; Rebecca Lay married Edd Sallie; Simon M. Lay born Mar. 18, 1903-died Mar. 21, 1955, married Eula Hicks; and Charley Lay married ____________Woods. Cynthia and David Layâ€™s children and marriages were given by their son, Thomas Lay, Newcomb, Tennessee. Joe Lay, son of Pryor and Rebecca Stanfill Lay married W. Mary Pruitt. Dorothy Lay, daughter of Pryor and Rebecca Stanfill Lay married June 25, 1899 James Overbay. Their children were: Ben and Mart Overbay were twins born Mar. 26, 1900; Oma Overbay married Alvin Hicks; Eddie Overbay married Ike Bowlin; George Overbay married (1) Sallie Bray and (2) Letha Siler; Mack Overbay died Oct. 3, 1961, at the age of fifty-three years; and Martha Overbay. Mart Lay, son of Pryor and Rebecca Stanfill Lay married Nanie White. Sampson Lay, son of Pryor and Rebecca Stanfill Lay married Vernie Martin.
7. Thomas Lay, son of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay, married Sept. 18, 1871 Permelia Jane Miles who died Aug. 27, 1928. Corporal (1) Thomas Lay was in Company G, 7th. Tennessee M.T.D. Infantry. Burial is in the Red Cut Cemetery, Elk Valley, Tennessee. Their Children were: Lucinda Lay married (1) Lewis Webb and (2) Edd Meredith; (2) James (Jim) Lay, born Oct 12, 1878 - died Apr. 29, 1932, married Catherine Carroll. Burial is in the Black Oak Cemetery, Proctor, Kentucky. Their children were: Stella Jane Lay born May 22, 1898 - died Dec. 15, 1939, married Wolford Matlock. Their daughter, Wilma Lucille Matlock, born Mar. 10, 1930 - died Sept. 15, 1933. Burial for Stella Jane Matlock and Wilma Lucille Matlock is in the Black Oak Cemetery, Proctor, Kentucky. Hattie Lay, daughter of Jim and Catherine Carroll Lay, was born Jan. 30. 1900 - died July 17, 1953, married Alvis Shirley Adkins born in 1894 - died in 1960. Burial is in Pleasant View Cemetery. Hattie and Alvis Adkinâ€™s chldren were: Cecil Franklin, Joe Williams, Kathleen, Robert Lee, John T., Reta Evely, Kenneth Ray and Sherley Adkins, Jr. (3) Calvin Lay, son of Thomas and Permelia Jane Miles Lay, was born May 4, 1875 - died Feb. 13, 1953, maried (1) Oct 2, 1894 Della Cordell and (2) Stella Bowlin born Apr. 20, 1905. Burial for Calvin is in Hoot Owl Hollow near Jellico, Tennessee. His children by the first marriage: Wayne, Edward and Elizabeth Lay.
His children by the second marriage: Roberta Lay married Otis Privett; Martin Lay; Robert Lay; Flonnie Lay married Cecil Cox; Lonnie Lay married Maggie Jones: Mary Lay married L. E. Kidd: Rosebud Lay married Carl Sellers; Dora Lay married Sterling Poore; and Thomas Lay. This information given by Mrs. Stella Bowlin Lay. (4) Hannah Lay, daughter of Thomas and Permelia Jane Miles Lay, married Will Ryan. (5) Laura Lay, daughter of Thomas and Permelia Jane Miles Lay, married Wintz Carroll. (6) Elijah Lay, son of Thomas and Permelia Jane Lay, born June 2, 1882, married Jan. 15, 1903 Vada Acres born Jan 15, 1886. They had five children: Mattie Lay married Dewey King; Gladys Lay married Russell Haynie; Sallie Lay married Frank Clawson; Eva Lay married George Appleby; and Lena Lay married Vern Duncan. (7) Pete Lay, son of Thomas and Permelia Jane Lay, married (1) Martha Carroll and (2) Lisa Cardell. (8) Luther Lay, son of Thomas and Permelia Jane Lay, married Della Moses. (9) Martha Lay, daughter of Thomas and Permelia Jane Lay, married jan. 14, 1902 Harlan Lay, son of Rev. William P. Lay. (10) Charley Lay, son of Thomas and Permelia Jane Lay, married Nov. 17, 1912 Dora b. Siler. (11) Tennie Lay, daughter of Thomas and Permelia Jane Lay married Joel Roberts. Information for Thomas and Permelia Jane Layâ€™s family was given by their son, Elijah Lay, Oneida, Tennessee.
8. Calvin Lay, son of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay, married (1) Flem Bairdâ€™s daughter and (2) Hannah Ssmith. In his Will dated Feb. 14, 1921, Calvin Lay said, â€œ I make my wife, Hannah Lay my only heir and Administrator.â€ Their children were: Hester Lay born Dec. 29, 1889- died July 29, 1891; China Lay married james Chadwell; and Nellie J. Lay married April 27, 1902 John Hollingsworth.
9. James Lay, son of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay, born Oct. 26, 1848 - died Nov. 18, 1924, married (1) Nov. 26, 1865 Emily Gibson born May 15, 1849 - died Feb. 28, 1893. His (2) marriage Mar. 22, 1894 Susan White born Jan. 2, 1866 - died July 10, 1927. Children by first marriage were: (1) Jocie Lay born jan. 8, 1870 - died Sept 2, 1910, married July 4, 1893 Isham Jones born Nov. 14, 1873 - died Feb. 17, 1957. Their son, Ora Jones married Rosie Redmond. (Burial Jocie Lay, Red Bird Cemetery). Mary E. Lay born Oct. 26, 1872 - died Nov. 2, 1941, married Mar. 13, 1890 Robert C. Jones, Jr. born Aug. 7, 1872 - died June 26, 1954. They had nine children: Ada Jones born Nov. 6, 1892 - died May 26, 1965; John S. Jones born Jan. 3, 1895 - married Feb. 5, 1916 Emma Hill born Dec. 25, 1884 - died Apr. 7, 1957; Edd Moss Jones born July 4, 1897; James B. Jones born Aug. 12, 1900 was killed at New Home Church Oct. 13, 1923, married Eula Stephens. Pearl Jones born Apr. 24, 1903 - married Dec. 25, 1923 J. J. (Jim) Chinn born Aug. 2, 1903; Flora Jones born Feb 24, 1906, married May 14, 1939 Leon Chambers born Mar. 20 1905; Travis Jones born Sept. 8, 1908 - died Oct. 8, 1909; Charles Leo Jones born Jan. 31, 1911; and Louis Jones born Dec. 31, 1914. (Burial for Robert and May Jones, Alsile.) (2) Spencer Lay born Mar. 15, 1875 - died Mar. 14, 1943, married Apr. 12, 1897 Rutha White born Feb. 29, 1879- died Nov 29, 1963. Their children were: Ethel Lay married Earnest Middleton; Eunice Lay
married Jesse Ball; Pauline Lay; Lewis E. Lay born Dec. 27, 1903 - died Mar. 30, 1947; Garrett Lay married Lucy Rains; Demaris Lay married _______________. Burial for Spencer, Rutha, Lewis and Pauline, Briar Creed. (3) Catherine Lay born in 1878 - married Mar.31, 1898 Solomon Carr born jan. 23, 1875- died May 24, 1944. Their children were: Laura Carr married Frank Ball; Lila Carr married _________; Wolford Carr married ___________________Beams; Cecil Carr married ___________; and Thelma Carr born Oct 12, 1908 - died Oct. 19, 1926. (4) Lucinda Lay born Mar. 9, 1880 - died apr. 24, 1901, married Aug. 23, 1899 James W. Davenport. (5) Ewell Lay was born about 1882. (6) Lind Lay died at an early age. (7) Nannie Lay born Oct. 27, 1885. She never married. (8) Travis Lay born Aug. 5, 1887 - died June 26, 1937, married July 2, 1908 Mary Ball born July 2, 1891 - died Apr. 16, 1965. Their children were: a.) Eva Lay bron Aug. 31, 1909 - died May 4, 1933, married Willie blaneknship; b.) Flossie Lay married Steely Sammons; c.) Louis Lay married Berneice Ross; d.) Ollie Lay married Arlie Meadors; e.) Cora Lay born Sept. 1, 1923 - died Mar. 25, 1943, married Roy Stanfill; f.) Bertha Lay never married. G.) Anna Lay never married. H.) Bill Lay married Mildred Kersey; i.) Berniece Lay born July 6, 1930 - died July 9, 1932; j.) Francis M. Lay born Aug. 7, 1889 - died Mar. 1, 1890; an k.) infant son of James Lay and Emily Lay was dead at birth May 1,1891. His children by second marriage were: 1.) John Lewis Lay born Sept. 9, 1895 - died Mar. 17, 1916 in a coal mine accident; m.) Nellie Jane Lay born May 16, 1898 - married Martin Carr. Their children were: Martin Carr, Jr. and Lillian Carr; n.) Artie Lay born Oct. 19, 1899 - died Feb. 27, 1900; o.) Dewey Lay born Jan 22, 1901 - married Feb 4, 1920 Mae Cronelius born in July 1901. They had seven children: Edna Marie Lay married John Holland; J. c. Lay married Opal Cox; Anna Evelyn Lay married Elton Boyer; Nellie E. Lay married Eugene Papet; Luther Clyde Lay married Loretta Wilder; roberta Sue Lay married Marvin newman; Rhoda Lay married Stanley Webb; Ella Lay born July 29, 1903 - married Feb. 28, 1918 Robert West born Mar. 26, 1896. They had eight children: Robert West Jr. married Lredia Winburn, Bertha West married Robert Cole, Clifford West married Evelyn Whaley, Dorothy West married William Hurst, Myrtle West married Earl Meadors, Elmer West married Joan Garrett, Dessie West married (1) Marvin Marsh and (2) Earnest Meadors, and Keith West; Etta Lay born Dec. 9, 1905 - married (1) Ranzie Cordell and (2) __________________________. (9) Stella Lay born Mar. 28, 1908 - married _________Wolford Ball born _______________. (10) Cynthia Lay daughter of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay married May 7, 1868 Lewis J. Stanfill born Nov. 9, 1851. Their children were: Pryor Stanfill born Aug. 12, 1870, married Linda Baird and later killed his wife and himself Apr. 14, 1926. Burail for Pryor Stanfill is in Red Cut Cemetery Elk Valley, Tennessee; Nancy Stanfill; James Stanfill married Verna Baird; Calvin Stanfill married Rachel Sharp; and Letcher Stanfill. (11) William (Blazer) Lay, son of Spencer and Lucinda Perkins Lay, married June 21, 1868 Rachel Stanfill. William roamed about quite a bit. He went to Redland, California and stayed for several years.
Some of his brothers sent him money to pay his fare back home. Their children were: Quince Lay, Virgil Lay, Verdie and Jewel Lay (?).
Jesse Lay , son of John M. and Rachel Lay, was born Nov. 19, 1813. He was twice married: (1) Hannah Bryant and (2) Polly â€œSlowâ€ Perkins. Evidently was not healthy as he was referred to as â€œSick Jesse.â€ He Lived on Elk Fork, Campbell County, Tennessee. Among his children were: Elizabeth who married Marion Terry; Winnie who married Jim Smith: Hannah, married John L. Baird; Racheal remained single; Spencer who married Jane Gibson. He was called â€œBucky Spinâ€ and was born in 1840 and died Mar. 27, 1903. His children: George who married Rhoda Coker and they had these children: Lorenzo married Ella Stanfill; D. I. Lay who married Etta Bridges; Mary L. who married J. B. Murray and Ella who married James Butler; Frank Lay and Sterling Lay married Mary Lay,daughter of Peter and Rebecca Croley; and two other sons, Ike Lay and Mike Lay, sons of Jesse and Hannah Lay, marriage unknown. John Lay, son of Jesse and Hannah Lay left Elk Valley and wentinto the Union Army in Ohio. He married Sadie McWhorter and reared his family near Staflord, Lincoln County, Kentucky. (See Lincoln county, Kentucky, record - - this volumn).
Jane Lay, daughter of John M. and Rachel Lay, was born Mar. 2, 1816. She married Jackie Wilhite. They removed into Texas County, Missouri. Lived near Houston, Missouri. Children: Margaret who married Marion Chambers; Katharine who married a Spivey; Delila who married a Johnson; Winnie who married a Gross; nan who married Garrett Stark; John who married a spivey; Jim who married Susan Miller; Moses and Elias, both killed Civil War, C.S.A.
Winnie Lay, daughter of John M. and Rachel lay was born Aug. 5, 1846-died Feb 17, 1949-age 103 plus. She married â€œLittle Berryâ€ Crowley. Children: Pearlie (Sears); Jane (Mays); Nancy (Lewallyn); Mary married Isam Lawson; Jim married a Venderpool; John married a Bryant; Wymer married Rebecca _____________; Polly; Green married Minervia Lay (Sheriff John Layâ€™s daugher); Andy married nancy Blakely; and Mike married a Bennett. Winnie (Lay) Crowley is buried at Borboursville, Kentucky.
James Lay, son of John M. and Rachel (Foley), was born Feb. 20, 1821- died Jan. 9, 1905, married Iris Grant Oct 11, 1840. She was born Sept. 22, 1816 - died Jan. 29, 1915, age 99 years. He was a GospelMinister. Children: Jackson, Finley (Finn), Silas, Mary, Henry, John, Amady, Spencer Foley Lay.