Search for content in message boards

Wm. C. LEE of Collin Co., TX - Conf.

Replies: 1

Wm. C. LEE of Collin Co., TX - Conf.

Posted: 21 May 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Pension
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 8:11AM GMT
From the TX State Archives - Soldier's Application for a Confederate Pension - Wm. C. LEE, Collin Co., PO Pike, TX, filed July 22, 1930, approved July 22nd, 1930, pension allowed from Aug. 1st, 1930, died 4-18-32.
THE STATE OF TEXAS, County of Collin:
I, William C. Lee do hereby make application for a pension pursuant to the provisions of Articles 6204 to 6227, inclusive of the Revised Civil Statutes of 1925, as amended by S. B. No. 27, passed by the Forty-first Legislature at its Fifth, Called Session, and all other laws of this State relating thereto. I served as a Confederate soldier (or sailor) in the war between the States of the United States; or (that I was a soldier who under special laws of the State of Texas during said war served in organizations for the protection of the frontier against Indian raiders or Mexican marauders); or (that I was a soldier of the militia of the State of Texas who was in active service during said war). I served honorably from the date of my enlistment until the close of the war (or until I was discharged or paroled in some military organization regularly mustered into the army or navy of the Confederate States until the surrender). I was honorably discharged or surrendered March 10, 11 & 12 - exhanged at James river, VA. That I have been a bona fide resident of this State continuonsly since the date not day of Sememberd (sic) A. D. 1865.
1. Age: 86
2. Reside: Collin
3. How long: since 1865
4. P.O. address: Pike, Texas
5. Ever applied before/or rejected: No
6. If rejected, state when/where: (here Arkansas is written in, but crossed out).
7. What State was the command in which you served organized: Ark.
8. What was your P.O. address at time of enlistment: Wareagle
9. How long did you serve: 2/3 years (a 2 or 3 was written on top of each other)
10. Enlistment date: enlisted Feb. 21 1863.
11. Company: E 7th Arkansas Cavalry.
This document has William C. Lee's legal signature, sworn to and subscribed 2nd day of July 1930.
AFFIDAVIT OF WITNESSES:
Signed by J. E. Huckabee and J. T. St. Clair who swore they personally know William C. Lee, that he is a bona fide resident citizen of the State of Texas since 1914. Legal signature of both men.
There is a hand written letter in this file from Eld. R. C. Horn, McKinney, Texas 7/7/1930:
"Adjutant General, Washington DC
Dear General - I hope the enclosed information will enable me to get the Confederate war record of William C. Lee or (W. C. Lee). The place of enlistment and record of service.
Yours truly
R. C. Horn
Adjt Camp 109"
Below is a type-written reply to Eld. R. C. Horn dated July 14, 1930 from the War Department:
"The records show that William Lee, also borne as William C. Lee, private, Company E, 7th Arkansas Cavalry, Confederate States Army, enlisted February 21, 1863, in Johnson County, for the period of three years. The company muster roll for August 31, to December 30, 1863, only roll on file, shows him present.
Union Prisoner of War records show him captured October 24, 1864, at Mound City, Kansas and paroled at Rock Island Barracks and transferred for exchange March 6, 1865. "Received Boulware's and Cox's Wharves, James River, Virginia, March 10th, 11th, and 12, 1865.
John F. Hill was Colonel of the 7th Arkansas Cavalry.
One M. H. Hunt and one R. P. Ogden served as privates of Company E., that regiment."
(Signed by) C. H. Bridges, Major General, The Adjutant General, by RD.
Also in this pension file is the APPLICATION FOR MORTUARY WARRANT, the State of Texas, County of Collin:
I, Mrs. R. E. Bradley do hereby certify that I am the person to whom is entrusted the paying of the accounts and indebtedness of the late William C. Lee, who was a pensioner of the State of Texas, and whose file number was 47013 and whose original county was Collin. The said pensioner William C. Lee, died on the 14th day of April 1932 in the town of Pike, County of Collin, Texas. The pensioner died in the home of Mrs. William C. (Mattie) Lee, who was the pensioner's wife. That the warrant, which application is hereby made for, shall be applied to paying all or part of the funeral expenses incurred by the said pensioner William C. Lee. I am related to the pensioner as: daughter. (Legal signature of Mrs. R. E. Bradley) dated 19th April 1932 and notarized.
CERTIFICATE OF UNDERTAKER:
I, Pat Wilson, do certify that I am undertaker in the town of Leonard, County of Fannin, State of Texas, that I had charge of the body of William C. Lee, who died in the town of Pike, County of Collin, State of Texas, on the 14th day of April 1932, and that I am of the opinion that warrant herein applied for should be issued to the said Mrs. R. E. Bradley. (Signed by) Pat Wilson, Undertaker.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
janicekmc 21 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
janicekmc 21 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions