Search for content in message boards

John Lee Family of Halifax Co., NC 1748-Present

Replies: 6

Re: John Lee Family of Halifax Co., NC 1748-Present

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lee, Howard, Greenberry, Taylor
I don't know if this thread is too old to alert any of y'all that there is a new post, but I just found it, so here goes:

Long years ago (1970s) when I first started looking up the information my grandmother had given me on Greenberry and Ely Lee Montgomery, AL/Covington Co AL/ all I had to go on were three facts, the first coming from the biography of Greenberry's son, George Washington Lee, who was legislator in Alabama turn of the (19th) century.
This bio stated Greenberry Lee was "of Putnam Co, Ga" and that Greenberry's wife, nee Martha Jane Taylor, was daughter of Richard and Martha Taylor "of Putnam County Georgia."
In Putnam Co, Georgia, I was referred to the local authority, who talked of the Lee plantation as though it were the year before instead of 1820. "They moved here from Halifax Co, N.C." she said.
The second fact I had came from my grandmother's grandparents telling her that the Covington County Lees were related to the Lee family of extreme southeast Alabama who were represented at that time by a member who was state auditor.
The biography of the state auditor led me to a Stewart Co, Ga book which stated the family came directly from the Halifax area, namely "John Lee, Daniel Lee and Green Lee."
I won't try to capsule the years since then as I have attempted to run down John, Daniel and Green. Those of you researching Halifax, N.C. know how all enveloping that search is.
Suffice it to say, these Lees moved back and forth to Williamsburg, S.C. and were intermarried with these Lees. They also were intermarried with the family of John Lee of Maryland who married Margaret Howard, whose son Col. Greenberry Lee is documented elsewhere (descended from Col. Nicholas Greenberry of early Maryland.)
This probably adds nothing. But I look forward to hearing what the years research have brought to those who started this thread.
Sandy Taylor
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
boxcar23 6 Nov 2005 3:29PM GMT 
K_Garbe 7 Nov 2005 4:53PM GMT 
boxcar23 7 Nov 2005 6:29PM GMT 
Joan Lee 5 Nov 2006 2:52AM GMT 
boxcar23 5 Nov 2006 1:41PM GMT 
Sandra Taylor 18 Dec 2009 2:18AM GMT 
pstrause 17 May 2012 9:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic