Search for content in message boards

George LEPINE m.bef.1882 Frances HUMPHREY - lived Egland

Replies: 4

Re: George Lepine born St Pancras c1831

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 5:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Renee,

I am replying to your messgae on here so maybe someone in the future will find this reply through and internet search and give you further information on your branch of the family.

I have been researching the Lepines for some years now and did have your George in my tree but with little details I'm afraid.

I do however have the following children for him by his apparent two wives. Bizarrely the second marriage states he was a bachelor rather than a widower, but I have come across this before. Given the locations and ages they must be the same George.

He married first wife Mary Haywood\Lepine in 1851. She died after 1861, most probably the Mary Lepine death found in the March 1864 quarter for Marylebone.

They had the following children:

George Alfred Lepine 1852 – 1852
Richard Henry 'Henry' Lepine 1853 –
Mary Elizabeth Lepine 1855 –
Emily Lepine 1857 – 1861
George Ellis Lepine 1859 – 1860

He married second wife Frances 'Fanny' Humphrey\Lepine 1847 – 1901. They had the following cxhildren, with the two ? children being highly likely due to the locations of their births and deaths.

Walter Lepine 1870 –
Alice Arabella Lepine 1872 – 1872
Frances Florence Lepine 1873 –
?William George Lepine 1875 – 1876
Edwin Charles 'Charles' Lepine 1877 –
Flora Kate 'Kate' Lepine 1879 –
Rose Minnie Lepine 1880 –
Arthur Alfred Lepine 1882 –
?Ann Henrietta Lepine 1883 – 1883
John Albert Lepine 1885 –

From his age at marriage and the census George Lepine appears to have been born in 1831 in Clerkenwell. However his baptism entry has never turned up and so while his father's name is known to be William Lepine from his marriages, his mother is unknown.

His father William Lepine is known from the census to also to have been born in Clerkenwell about 1802-1803, but like his son his baptism has not turned up either.

However from what I have found, this William is known to have been married twice, firstly to Susanna Howell Dobson at St Pancras on 21 July and secondly to widow Ann unknown/Gee at St Leonard Shoreditch on 25 February 1836.

He is then listed with a third woman called Emma in the 1871 census who is named as his wife but I have found no marriage for them.

With first wife Susanna he is known to have had a daughter Eliza who was baptised at St George Bloomsbury in March 1830. She had been born on 6 October 1828. However Susanna was buried at St Pancras aged 23 in August 1830.

This raises the questiona s to who George's mother was. Could he have been born at this time and Susanna died in childbirth, or was his mother the Ann who his father married in 1836?

There is also potential confusion as there was another couple named William and Susanna Lepine in the same area at the same time.

From the census William is known to have had a daughter Mary Ann Lepine c1837/8 in St Pancras with this second wife Ann.

As for the parentage of your William I just no idea. The lack of a baptism rather draws a blank for now and there were a few William Lepines around at the time, which make things very difficult.

However having studied the Lepines there were two main branches, the Lepine family of Canterbury and the Lepine family of Middlesex.

Some of the Canterbury Lepines came to London but the names William and George are only really found in descendants of the Canterbury branch so I would assume this is where your origins are. I am just afraid I cannot prove anything right now.

If I come across anything else in the future I will let you know.

Kind regards,
Jon

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RMattes0791 7 Sep 2000 1:07PM GMT 
RMattes0791 13 Sep 2000 11:55AM GMT 
RMattes0791 24 Sep 2000 3:34PM GMT 
JonWicken 1 Feb 2012 12:22AM GMT 
JonWicken 11 Feb 2012 7:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions