Search for content in message boards

Willoughby Lewis, Jeremiah Lewis from VA, KY

Replies: 12

Lewis Lineage

Posted: 18 Apr 2001 4:43PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2002 12:07AM GMT
I do not see your email addres. I am a little concerned about posting my email address on a public forum. We are starting to get so much junk email, and it clogs the computer. My address is P. O. Box 242, Henderson, NC 27536. You are welcome to mail your email address or send it over the web. I will send mine to you directly if I hear from you. I visited the web site of Warner Hall, but do not know of the connection. However, I also have had a hunch that there is a connection. The first names have a pattern. Younger sons who disappeared from the Warner Hall line are my guess. Plus, most people arrived in Hampton Roads (Newport News, York county, James City County, Hampton, Norflok) and some migrated north to the "Northern Neck" counties of Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond, and Westmoreland. George Washington had ancesters who started at Warner Hall, and then moved up to Lancaster (his mother Mary Ball was born in Lancaster, then raised in Northumbeland when she was orphaned. Then she married in Westmoreland, and eventually kept moving up to "Ferry Farm" in Fredericksburg and then George took over Mt. Vernon in Arlington.) His sister Betty married a Fielding Lewis in Stafford, but I do not know if he was one of our Fielding Lewises. The Lees started from the Hampton Roads area and moved to Westmoreland. Of course, Abraham Lincoln's mother was from Richmond Co. There are still Hanks in the area. The local historical society has researched Nancy Hanks extensively. My Lewises were all farmers. Before the 1860's, it seems that "farms" were called "plantations", regardless of size. Thomas P. Lewis, Sr. and Valentine Lewis seemed to have plenty of land. I suspected that you had some first hand family information. I have met a distant "cousin" from Utah who decendents of my Dudley line. When they went West, they tried to keep tract of their roots. Local folks were trying to at least pretend they were not all related and intermarried! I have found out more from graveyards and census records than family history (past grandparents). If there is a family Bible locally, it's a secret. What you have seems good, except that if John Douglas Lewis was born in 1782, how could he father children as early as 1788? Usually people did not get married until 20 or 21, and had to swear to their ages. Remember that puberty was much later in those days. Marriage records for Richmond Co. show a John Lewis who married Ann Greenlaw in 1786. However, I do not have access to the North. records at present. I visiting Virginia tomorrow and will see what I can find about John Douglas Lewis. Elaine H. Davies
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Midge 3 Oct 2000 10:08AM GMT 
daviesw 18 Apr 2001 4:30PM GMT 
Midge batt 18 Apr 2001 6:53PM GMT 
daviesw 18 Apr 2001 10:43PM GMT 
bperkins6 6 Jan 2002 8:32PM GMT 
midge 7 Jan 2002 5:04AM GMT 
judyhoneycutt... 10 Sep 2011 3:41AM GMT 
judyhoneycutt... 19 Sep 2013 4:07AM GMT 
Midge batt 18 Apr 2001 9:46PM GMT 
Midge batt 18 Apr 2001 9:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions