Search for content in message boards

Aaron and Arminta Lilly, Slab Fork, WV

Replies: 7

Re: Aaron and Arminta Lilly, Slab Fork, WV

Posted: 9 Mar 2014 11:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lilly, Tolbert, Shrewsbury
I am very interested in Aaron (or Aron) Lilly and Araminta Shrewsbury. They may be my ancestors. I really appreciate the info about Charles Sullivan and Levi Shrewsbury's birth records, I had been looking for them, although I had found Levi's death certificate there! I have a feeling my family story may be too complicated to explain here. My mother's mother was Mattie Tolbert who was "married" to George W. Shrewsbury (no marriage record has been found). She had 3 children with him, but when the 4th was born (my mom) the family story is that George claimed she wasn't his and Mattie took off because he threatened to kill her. My mom was raised by Mattie's father & step-mother, and the other children were sent to live with other relatives. My mom, who died two years ago, hinted that she had been told that her father was a man named Bedford Lilly. I think she knew more than she would tell me. I believe George Shrewsbury's parents were Aaron and Arminta. He had a sister, according to living relatives, whose married name was Anna Atkinson. Anna's death certificate lists her parents as "Wash and Armenda Lilly". (George's death certificate lists his parents as George Shrewsbury and Hazel Lilly but I believe this may be an error because records seem to indicate that George himself was married to Hazel Lilly.) I have been trying to piece this couple and their families together, especially since in the 1920 census, there was a boy named Bedford Lilly, aged 9, living with Levi Lilly and his family, listed as a boarder. He would have been significantly younger than Mattie Tolbert (who was born in 1898) but he would have been an adult by the time my mom was born in 1933 or 1934. (That's right, we aren't sure exactly when she was born!) I can't find any other info about Bedford Lilly that I can confirm and at the very least, I'd like to figure out his connection to George Shrewsbury and his family. I had my DNA done about a year ago and it seems likely that I am related by blood to the Lilly and Shrewsbury families but I haven't found a connection to any confirmed family trees :(

This is a link to my mom's story, written by me after she died:

http://www.memorymedallion.com/view_medallion/view.php?id=22...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
orion212 28 Jan 2004 5:59PM GMT 
phyllisducks 5 Mar 2005 5:12PM GMT 
brikchic_1 7 Nov 2009 7:39PM GMT 
orion212 8 Nov 2009 2:28AM GMT 
brikchic_1 21 Mar 2010 11:55PM GMT 
orion212 22 Mar 2010 11:51PM GMT 
brikchic_1 23 Mar 2010 1:13AM GMT 
chersfmly 9 Mar 2014 5:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic