Search for content in message boards

Black Irish origin

Replies: 10

Black Irish origin

Donalyn (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2002 10:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
A little off the subject of the LONGS per se but quite interesting! Last year when researching the Castro de Borneiro area of Galicia (as in Gaelic) in northern Spain I came across recent articles about some DNA test results of the "black Irish" in Ireland. This area has ancient Celtic ruins located there. The particular DNA research tested those claiming to have Spanish roots in Ireland. Turned out that the claims are correct but they go back to the "native" Spaniards of ages ago. This past week I've been in contact with a University of Georgia researcher about Spanish origins in regard to my ancestor Marc Barniro Snelling. The closest name I'd been able to find was that of Borneiro and wondered about possible Celtic roots. Turns out that this appears to be a Sephardic (Hebrew) name. Sephardics are ancient Mediterranean Hebrews who lived in Spain thousands of years before Christ. "Bar" is a Hebrew prefix for "son of." "Neiro" is the lamp on the Menorah. Just when you think you have it all figured out and know it all you're put in a position of looking at something in a different perspective and hopefully gaining a greater understanding. Isn't genealogy grand?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Donalyn 29 Apr 2002 4:36AM GMT 
Donalyn 29 Apr 2002 10:46PM GMT 
Burley54 7 May 2002 1:10AM GMT 
Jay B. Long 9 May 2002 3:14AM GMT 
Peggy Cairns 9 May 2002 4:12AM GMT 
glenda_jeffer... 16 May 2002 12:35AM GMT 
Peg Cairns 16 May 2002 1:09AM GMT 
Donalyn 17 May 2002 12:12AM GMT 
kathyguest 29 May 2003 1:30AM GMT 
caturner19 3 Sep 2002 7:26PM GMT 
per page