Search for content in message boards

John & Susan Lutes born ~1800, son Hiram Lutes, Jonestown, PA

Replies: 0

John & Susan Lutes born ~1800, son Hiram Lutes, Jonestown, PA

Posted: 24 Jul 2011 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2012 10:12PM GMT
Surnames: Lutes
Does anyone have information on John Lutes and his wife Susan? Both were probably born around 1790 (+/-10?) in PA. Their son Hiram Lutes (Mar 1824 - 29 Sep 1904) was born near Jonestown (today Fallowfield Township/Bentleyville area). In 1852 Hiram married Cassa Eleanor Dobbs (1830-1860) in Marshall County, WV where they lived the rest of their lives.

Cassa was the daughter of Aungier Dobbs (1798 – 1869) and Margaret (Porter) Dobbs (1796 – 1861). Aungier was born in Pike's Run, Washington Co., PA, and was the son of Aungier Dobbs (1740-1829) and Jane Aly (1732-1828). The Dobbs family is fairly well documented, but I have yet to find more than Hiram's parents' names (via his marriage record). I have no names for his siblings.

In a 1941 letter Blanche (Gatts) Bowers (1882-1968) wrote [with my clarifications in brackets]:

"I remember seeing fine old men who came to see Mamma [Hiram's daughter, Emily Belle (Lutes) Gatts (1857-1933)] with Grandpa [Hiram Lutes] – they were very well dressed and wore tall silk hats. She said they were Grandpa’s brothers from near Pittsburgh. He also had a fine gentle old sister whose families are the finest in the country and very well to do today. [These visits must have been ~1886 thru 1933.]

Grandfather [Hiram] Lutes was a carpenter and a cabinet maker. He had a small farm, he was always poor, he was sweet, kind and gentle. He had snow white hair quite heavy, a face shape of your mothers, and skin like a baby’s."

Hiram served in the Civil War and is mentioned in the database of the West Virginia Adjutant General's papers. (Hiram Lutes of Marshall County, WV, Images of the papers have been uploaded to Hiram's profile on

Find a board about a specific topic