Search for content in message boards

John & Susan Lutes born ~1800, son Hiram Lutes, Jonestown, PA

Replies: 0

John & Susan Lutes born ~1800, son Hiram Lutes, Jonestown, PA

Posted: 24 Jul 2011 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2012 10:12PM GMT
Surnames: Lutes
Does anyone have information on John Lutes and his wife Susan? Both were probably born around 1790 (+/-10?) in PA. Their son Hiram Lutes (Mar 1824 - 29 Sep 1904) was born near Jonestown (today Fallowfield Township/Bentleyville area). In 1852 Hiram married Cassa Eleanor Dobbs (1830-1860) in Marshall County, WV where they lived the rest of their lives.

Cassa was the daughter of Aungier Dobbs (1798 – 1869) and Margaret (Porter) Dobbs (1796 – 1861). Aungier was born in Pike's Run, Washington Co., PA, and was the son of Aungier Dobbs (1740-1829) and Jane Aly (1732-1828). The Dobbs family is fairly well documented, but I have yet to find more than Hiram's parents' names (via his marriage record). I have no names for his siblings.

In a 1941 letter Blanche (Gatts) Bowers (1882-1968) wrote [with my clarifications in brackets]:

"I remember seeing fine old men who came to see Mamma [Hiram's daughter, Emily Belle (Lutes) Gatts (1857-1933)] with Grandpa [Hiram Lutes] – they were very well dressed and wore tall silk hats. She said they were Grandpa’s brothers from near Pittsburgh. He also had a fine gentle old sister whose families are the finest in the country and very well to do today. [These visits must have been ~1886 thru 1933.]

Grandfather [Hiram] Lutes was a carpenter and a cabinet maker. He had a small farm, he was always poor, he was sweet, kind and gentle. He had snow white hair quite heavy, a face shape of your mothers, and skin like a baby’s."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiram served in the Civil War and is mentioned in the database of the West Virginia Adjutant General's papers. (Hiram Lutes of Marshall County, WV, http://www.wvculture.org/history/ag/wvssc.html). Images of the papers have been uploaded to Hiram's profile on ancestry.com.

Thanks!
Patrick

Find a board about a specific topic