Search for content in message boards

Father of Henry Lyman, b abt 1552, m Elizabeth Rande

Replies: 14

Re: Father of Henry Lyman, b abt 1552, m Elizabeth Rande

John Steele Gordon (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2002 10:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
What makes me think that Jacobus is any more accurate than a Lyman who did the research in London? let me count the ways:

1) Coleman was published in 1872, in the dawn of modern genealogy, so the research was done even earlier. Jacobus wrote on the Lyman family in 1954, benefitting from 82 years of additional genealogical research. The record available to Jacobus were orders of magnitude greater than what was available in the mid-19th century.

2) Having the surname Lyman does not add to your expertise as a genealogical researcher. Jacobus was equally descended from Richard Lyman (as am I).

3) Jacobus had the benefit of knowing the material in Coleman, and could thus check it. He found it wanting. He didn't report that just for the sheer pleasure of saying something was wrong, he did it, in all likelihood, because it WAS wrong. Perhpas you should read what Jacobus has to say on the subject first, and complain second about it.

4) Donald Lines Jacobus was the finest American genealogist of the 20th century, founder of The American Genealogist, now nearly 80 years old, founder of the American Society of Genealogists, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. He specialized in New England and especially Connecticut. His reputation for accuracy and research skill is legendary. He deserves the enormous respect he has among genealogists.

"But I don't think we can take either one as inaccurate or accurate until it is proven which one is correct. Which is what any good genealogist does."

Rubbish. Genealogy is not mathematics, one can't "prove" something as absolutely true or false, one has to depend on the evidence and deduce what can logically be deduced from it. Good genealogists take the evidence available and draw what conclusions they can from it. A very great genealogist has done so in this instance and until someone comes along with new evidence unavailable to Jacobus, I, for one, will go with him instead of some 19th-century business man who may well have been one of thousands of Americans at that time who was sold a fraudulent pedigree by an English shyster.

If you would like a copy of Jacobus's article (and/or the material on Richard Lyman in The Great Migration Begins) I'd be happy to send you a copy.

John Steele Gordon

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
EvelynCromwel... 11 Dec 2001 5:54PM GMT 
John Steele Gordon 11 Dec 2001 9:38PM GMT 
Farnorth_ak 11 Dec 2001 10:26PM GMT 
Farnorth_ak 11 Dec 2001 10:28PM GMT 
John Gordon 12 Dec 2001 2:30PM GMT 
Farnorth_ak 1 Jan 2002 2:50AM GMT 
John Steele Gordon 1 Jan 2002 5:09PM GMT 
Cheryl (Lyman)Abi-loutfi 4 Jul 2002 5:25PM GMT 
SharonLKinnis... 24 Jul 2002 5:49PM GMT 
kncvoigt 29 Apr 2007 7:41PM GMT