DR. ALMON H. LYMAN
Dr. Almon H. LYMAN was born in the village of Hume, Allegany County on April 9, 1861. He was the son of Dr. Henry H. LYMAN and Cornelia COWING LYMAN. His early life was spent in the town of Hume. There were four children his family, of which his sister, Mrs. George W. HARDING, who died in Hume in 1938, was the eldest.
Dr. LYMAN, was the next child and Mott V. LYMAN who died in October, 1919 at Flint, Michigan, was the third child. Mrs. Mary L. STEWART of Fillmore is the youngest and last of his family.
His father Dr. Henry H. LYMAN, received his medical education at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in the city of New York, where he graduated in 1855. In 1856 he received his M.D. degree at the University of Buffalo and shortly thereafter began the practice of his profession at Hume where his fame as a successful doctor became widely known.
Such was the foundation upon which Dr. A.H. LYMAN was to build his reputation as a successful physician.
Dr. LYMAN's pre-medical education was obtained at Pike Seminary and Geneseo Normal school. In 1884 he graduated from the University of Buffalo, receiving the degree of M.D. from that institution.
Upon his graduation he was appointed as physician to the inmates of the Erie County Jail and later on during the year following his graduation he was appointed by the Erie County Board of Supervisors as physician to the inmates of the Erie County Penitentiary. He then went to Menominee, Wisconsin, where he stayed for a short time in the employ of the Knapp, Stout Co., one of the largest lumber companies in that state. From there he went to Omaha, Neb., and to Almy, Wyoming, where he was employed as physician for the miners in a large iron mine at that place.
In 1891 Dr. LYMAN came to Caneadea where he practiced his profession until 1892 when he came to Fillmore and practiced with his father, Dr. H.H. LYMAN, who died in Fillmore on May 27, 1898. Dr. LYMAN continued his practice in Fillmore until September, 1894 when he went to the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia and completed a four years' medical course in one year, graduating and receiving his M.D. degree from that institution in 1895.
He then returned to this village where he has ministered to the ill and suffering continuously from that date almost to the day of his death.
On Jan. 26, 1892 Dr. LYMAN married Josephine WHALEN of Caneadea and to this marriage two children were born, Capt. Robert H. LYMAN, who received his M.D. degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1927 and is now in the Medical Corps of the U.S. Army at the Post Hospital at Holabird Motor Base, Baltimore, Md., and Richard LYMAN, who died in Fillmore October, 1938.
Dr. LYMAN served the town of Hume as its supervisor during the year 1893. At the time of his death he was Health Officer for the towns of Hume, Allen, Granger, and Caneadea, which position he had held for many years. He was also examining physician for the schools in the towns of Hume, Granger, Allen, and Caneadea and physician in charge of the infirmary at Houghton College. He was a member of Caneadea Lodge, F. & A. M.
Few men will be missed from this community as will he. He brought to his patients a rare genius as a physician and a mind seldom equaled in its great store of information and anecdote.
The name of LYMAN and the practice of medicine have been so closely interwoven with the everyday life of the citizens of this locality since 1856, that it seems difficult to visualize and make real the fact that he has passed on.
Dr. LYMAN died on October 22, 1942 at Fillmore at the Genesee Country Hospital which he founded in July, 1930. This institution will stand in the years to come as a monument to his memory.
[Northern Allegany Observer obituary, transcribed by Louise Y. Mills, 2003, from Cora Lahr's scrapbooks, Fillmore, NY]