Who are the parents of Joseph Lyon (b.1779-81-d.1839)?
The Lyon descendants of Joseph Lyon of Massachusetts, Maryland, North Carolina and Georgia have been searching for decades for information on the parents of Joseph Lyon. Can you help?
Here is what we know or at least have heard through the years from relatives:
• Thought to have been born in London between 1779 and 1781. Joseph Lyon died in New York, New York on December 16, 1839 and is buried in the Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY.
• He immigrated to the United States in the early 1800s, we think 1816.
• He was married before leaving England and had at least one daughter, named Elizabeth who was born October 19, 1804 and who immigrated to the United States with her father, Joseph Lyon. Elizabeth married Samuel Wilson. They had at least two children, Mary Henrietta Wilson, b. 22 November 1832, d. 16 June 1833, age 6 months and 25 days and William Henry Wilson, b. May 29,l 834, d. 31 May 1834, age 3 days. Elizabeth Lyon Wilson died in Elizabethtown, NJ on July 11, 1885.
• It is believed that Joseph Lyon was a Colonel in the British Army before he immigrated to the U.S.
• Joseph Lyon was married for the second time to Marie Erneste D’Anterroches on 26 May 1817 in Elizabethtown, NJ. They had at least three children.
• Mary Henrietta D’Anterroches Lyon, b. March 27, 1818. She married married Lewis Edward Monteagle on 21 November 1838 in New York. Lewis Edward Monteagle, b. 22 January 1840
• Joseph Lewis D’Anterroches Lyon, b. 14 Dec. 1819, d. 17 Mar. 1900. He married Susannah Peer Fountain on 14 Dec. 1843.
• John Francis Lyon, b. in New York, 31 January 1822, d. in Brooklyn, July 1, 1901. He married Mary Frances Stuart, in New York, August 8, 1842.
• It is believed Joseph Lyon had at least two brothers, John and Phillip.
• An obituary for Joseph mentions that he joined “brothers” in NY in the import export business.
• An old family story tells of how the ship that brought him and his daughter Elizabeth to the US was intercepted by pirates. All were made to walk the plank except Joseph and Elizabeth because Joseph was a Mason and so, it turned out, was the pirate captain!
If you have any information on Joseph Lyon, please e-mail either Matthew Lyon @ email@example.com
or Peter Lyon @ firstname.lastname@example.org