Search for content in message boards

Isabella Hunter Mahan Kennedy

Replies: 5

Isabel (Isabella) Hunter Mahan Kennedy

Posted: 31 Dec 2000 9:24AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2001 7:45PM GMT
This is a supplement to my reply this morning. Returned from church. Lots of talk about New Years resolutions.

First, was it Isabella or Isabel. My grandmother was partially named for her mother, we think. Her name was Alice Isabel Kennedy, dau of John W. Kennedy and
Isabel(la) Hunter Mahan. This doesn't mean that her mother's name was also Isabel, but I wonder if you have any information what her name really was.

Of all the years I've been doing family history research, I'm surprised that I've never researched the death record of Isabella or Isabel Hunter. I have down that my mother said she died in 1919, so there should have been a death record made.

The death record and census record should tell us whether she was born in Ireland or Greenbrier County. Do you have any info.

My Uncle Paul Davis, who lived in the old John Kennedy house (he and my mother and their family were raised a stone throw away from the house) said she was born about 1832 (my mother said 1828) in Ireland, and was brought to America by her older brother George when she was 6 years old. That would have been during the potato famine??? My mother's notes said that Isabella's parents were Matthew and Eliza or Elizabeth, and may have been called Betty.

I have never been able to find out anything about Isabella, but to be honest, I really haven't tried. I also don't have anything on John Kennedy, except a note that my grandmother wrote that said he was born in 1805 on the Allegheny River at the mouth of Pawtucket Creek 20 miles north of Pittsburgh. He lied about his age when he applied for his marriage license to marry the younger Mrs. Mahan. He said his age was 57, when actually he was about 61. She was 39, I think. My grandmother was born about a year later. John Kennedy's marriage application says his parent's names were John and Mary, and his death record says his parents were John and Katy.

Where do you fit in all this? You may answer me directly at jfields38@yahoo.com.
Anxious to hear from you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mary 29 Apr 2000 2:53PM GMT 
Joe Fields 31 Dec 2000 9:13AM GMT 
Joe Fields 31 Dec 2000 4:24PM GMT 
Joe Fields 17 Feb 2001 5:11PM GMT 
Mary 3 Mar 2001 7:39AM GMT 
Joe Fields 14 May 2001 5:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions