Search for content in message boards

Manley, Luppitt, Devon, England - 1800s

Replies: 18

Re: Manley, Luppitt, Devon, England - 1800s

Posted: 29 Oct 2001 4:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Dec 2001 1:44PM GMT
Hi Suzanne

Thanks for contacting me. I noticed on your notice board your reply to Audrey Mabe which I've printed as many of the names are familiar to me.

My research goes back via Hemyock, Buckland in Somerset, Spofforth in Yorkshire and Manley in Cheshire to France where the family name originated being spelt several ways - Manley, Manly, and Manlay. The first Manley I have found recorded as coming to England was a knight in the army of William the Conqueror when he invaded in 1066. His name is recorded on the Roll of Battle Abbey and it appears he was rewarded with lands in Cheshire.

I see you also have links in Hemyock, another Devon village. Did you know that via George Manley of Spofforth Hall, Spofforth, a village in Yorkshire you also have links with the ancient Manley family of Manley, Cheshire?

Have you seen the book by John Sage titled Luppitt Parish, Church and People? It's available from - ISBN 0-9539483-0-7. I've found it a very interesting book with lots of old photographs - even a couple showing Manleys.

An interesting property I've found that was owned by John-Shawe Manley is Braziers Hall near Henley, Oxfordshire. Ths house is now a college and there is lots of information about it and photographs of it on

I've also found an Isaac George Manley who is descended from the Cheshire Manleys who sailed with Captain Cook on his first voyage round the world. He rose through the ranks and eventually became an Admiral in the British Royal Navy in 1837.

I've rambled on enough for now - I hope this interests you.

As you can see the Manleys in England are like a giant jigsaw puzzle - all the pieces will fit together some day!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
C Fox 30 Mar 2005 6:20PM GMT 
mybush 12 Feb 2010 10:54PM GMT 
deehodgson1 29 Oct 2001 11:00PM GMT 
blodwynie 6 Nov 2001 9:17PM GMT 
Audrey_Mabe 6 Nov 2001 9:56PM GMT 
genstree 6 May 2005 11:44AM GMT 
Suzanne Roberts 6 May 2005 2:50PM GMT 
FJ 7 May 2005 8:28AM GMT 
mabberleyj 16 Mar 2007 2:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic