Search for content in message boards

Irene Marie McGuire Manley d. October 25, 1995, formerly of Scranton PA

Replies: 19

Irene Marie McGuire Manley d. October 25, 1995, formerly of Scranton PA

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 8:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGuire Manley
I am looking for more information on Irene MCGUIRE MANLEY, who I am pretty sure was the daughter of Thomas MCGUIRE & Mary MCHALE, though the obiituary I have for her says otherwise. I've learned to be very cautious whenever I get an obituary from the Scranton Times, as more often than not, they have inaccuracies in them.

At any rate, here is what I got from the Thursday, Oct. 26, 1995 edition of the Scranton Times:

IRENE MARIE MCGUIRE MANLEY
October 25, 1995

Irene Marie MCGUIRE MANLEY, 95, formerly of North Scranton, died Wednesday at Mercy Hospital following an illness. Her husband, Gerald F. Manley, died in February 1957.

Born Feb. 20, 1900, in Scranton, daughter fo the late John and Sarah Lalley McGuire [I firmly believe the names of her parents are Thomas & Mary McHale McGuire], she was a lifelong resident of Scranton before being a guest of the Holiday Manor Nursing Facility. She was a graduate of Scranton Technical High School. Before retiring, she was employed by Lackawanna County in the voters registration office and formerly worked as an office clerk for the Maryknoll, Clark's Summit, and as a sales clerk for Lewis and Reilly Shoe Store. She was a member of Holy Rosary Church and the Ancient Order of Hibernians.

Surviving are two sons, Thomas, Alexandria VA, and Leo, Claymont Del.; 11 grandchildren; great-grandchildren, and nieces and nephews.

She was preceded in death by a son, Gerald, who died in 1984, and two brothers. Clarence and Joseph.

The funeral will be Saturday at 8:30 a.m. from the Jennings-Calvey Funeral Home, 415 W. Market St., with Mass at 9 in Holy Rosary Church. Interment, Cathedral Cemetery.

Friends may call Friday, 7 to 9 p.m.

----------

The SCRANTON TIMES -- Sunday, October 29, 1995

MANLEY, IRENE MARIE MCGUIRE, formerly of North Scranton, Saturday from the Jennings-Calvey Funeral Home, 415 W. Market St., with Mass in Holy Rosary Church, celebrated by Monsignor Joseph P. Kelly, pastor. Pallbearers: Michael J., James P., Patrick, James and Major Thomas F. II Manley, grandsons, John Kenneth, Thomas F. III and Jacob Manley, Jason and David Morelli, great-grandsons, and Gilbert Bunner. Interment, Cathedral Cemetery.

-----

Please note, the reason I believe Thomas MCGUIRE & Mary MCHALE are Irene's parents is because on two different Scranton censuses (1910 & 1920) listings for the following family and the names of her brothers, Joseph and Clarence, were listed too and they match exactly what was in the obituary. My Irene's age is also a match with what is in the obituary.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JamieOBrien25... 19 Aug 2002 2:40PM GMT 
crickett melvin 3 Nov 2003 2:49AM GMT 
Jerry Manley 10 Oct 2005 1:35AM GMT 
Jamie O'Brien 10 Oct 2005 12:52PM GMT 
crickettmelvin 10 Oct 2005 4:06PM GMT 
Jerry Manley 11 Oct 2005 6:01PM GMT 
crickettmelvin 11 Oct 2005 11:15PM GMT 
Jerry Manley 12 Oct 2005 1:41PM GMT 
crickettmelvin 13 Oct 2005 5:00PM GMT 
mjisty1 3 Mar 2011 5:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions