Search for content in message boards

Sidney E Manning 1892 - 1960 AL, Congressional Medal Of Honor

Replies: 1

Sidney E Manning 1892 - 1960 AL, Congressional Medal Of Honor

Posted: 2 Jul 2007 8:57AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Manning
MOBILE REGISTER 17 DECEMBER 1960 (SATURDAY)

WAR HERO DIES UPSTATE

FLOMATON, AL - One of Alabama's top heroes of World War I, Syndey E Manning, died Thursday in the Veteran's Administration Hospital in Montgomery. The 68-year old Manning had been in failing health for some time.
Manning was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and was described by General John J Pershing as one of the top 10 heroes of the war.
He was honored for action July 28, 1918 near Brevanner, France. Manning took over command of his platoon after its commanding officer and sergeant were killed.
He led the unit of 35 men against German fortified positions at cliffs on the Ourcq River. The unit obtained a foothold and helped dislodge the Germans. Only he and seven companions survived and he was wounded nine times during the battle.
Friends told of how Manning, a shy man, saw a band and a crowd waiting to greet him when he returned to Flomaton. He sneaked off the train on the opposite side and hurried home.
He lived on a Flomaton farm which was a gift from the state of Alabama.
Funeral services will be held today at the Little Escambia Baptist Church.
Surviving are his wife and son, Sydney H Manning, Orlando, Florida.

Please note: I have transcribed this obituary as it was written in the Mobile Register. However, Mr Manning gave the spelling of his name as SIDNEY EARNEST MANNING in the World War I Draft Registration.

Not my family, just sharing from the newspaper archives of the Mobile Public Library.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pamelaharrell... 2 Jul 2007 2:57PM GMT 
kenjohnson57 3 Jul 2007 5:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions