Search for content in message boards

Mannex/Mannix/Minogue from Scarriff, County Clare, Ireland

Replies: 7

Re: Mannex/Mannix/Minogue from Scarriff, County Clare, Ireland

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 5:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
From what little info I have, three brothers and possibly an aunt came to the US about 1854 to either Boston or Philadelphia. My grandfather Michael and his brother Patrick came to Illinois. It is my understanding that the 3rd brother was John (althought there is a slight possiblity that his name could have been Matthew) and he remained in the east. Some old letters I have indicated that there was correspondence with them but I don't remember when the letter said that stopped, but since Patrick and Michael both died before 1900 it is hard to tell and I have not tried to locate any of those letters which said they corresponded with the easterners lately. I do remember it said there were quite a number of them and something about a daughter in Boston. On the 1860 census there is a 16 yr old Mary Manyx and it is possible that she could have been an aunt although she would have been about the ages of the brothers. I do not know when the 3rd brother was born. Some old Irishman told me there were relatives in Tomgraney and the letter I have from their mother was from Derilk. I have been told that was probably some land designation which was Derryulk. I just have not come up with anyone I thought was possibly the eastern brother. I have an OLD notation which I have no idea from where I copied it, but it seems that I thought a Family Archile #354 Passenger and Immigration Index 2000 edition might have had the three listed. I believe it is from a National Genealogical Society Book which I have not tracked down at this time. My daughter works at OCLC and she will be here in two weeks and she may be able to help me. When so much info became available on the internet I thought I would find the family very easily, but at this time, I don't believe that I am ever going to locate anyone, and I don't say that lightly. I've been to Ireland twice, I've corresponded and I've sent money to no avail. It seems there were many many Minogues in county Clare but records are scarce. The letter I got from Scariff was written by the brother's aunt.
I have no idea whether the information I got from Paddy Purcell in Ireland is correct or not. He seemed certain about what he told me and wrote me a number of letters, but as to proof, I have none. Either something is going to pop up for out of the blue or I have not a clue as to anything I might do expect I am going to try to pursue this notation thru the Nat Gen Soc in days to come.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
antsandkim 13 Aug 2011 1:47AM GMT 
MaryManyxGood... 26 Aug 2011 6:08PM GMT 
antsandkim 27 Aug 2011 8:15PM GMT 
yappie53 4 Mar 2012 9:09PM GMT 
antsandkim 9 Mar 2012 10:57PM GMT 
yappie53 9 Mar 2012 11:33PM GMT 
MaryManyxGood... 11 Mar 2012 11:41PM GMT 
yappie53 11 Mar 2012 11:50PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic