Search for content in message boards

marreros from puerto rico

Replies: 71

Re: Reply: Hunt's Point/RAUL MARRERO/Blanquillo,Lucas

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 8:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Marrero
It is interesting to see how the family dynamics play out under the circumstances. I am a firm believer that you need to understand your past in order to build the future that you want. I also realized that the people who could give me some insight were getting older and we were starting to see each other more because of funerals. With this in mind I decided that I wanted to give myself and my family the gift of knowing our roots. This would be a huge undertaking considering that both my maternal and paternal family are large. I started my search reviewing the censuses provided, jogging my aunts'/uncles' memories and reading about migration during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Early on I realized that this was a project that was going to stir emotions. I pursued it publicly for sometime but stopped when a cousin (who will not be named) asked me to stop because there was information that he did not care for his kids to know. I can respect that so I continued "off-line." Because of my parents family reunions I have had the opportunity to spend time with distant and not so distant family. I have come to know the different reactions people have on the subject. Though I may not agree with how some people approach the subject (good and bad) it has given me insight on the dynamics of a large family that was forced to be blended because of geography, resources and the tests of time. Fortunately during the last reunion I met another family member (Marrero side) that embarked on the same project. It was a blessing. Being a professor he has had access to resources that have helped him with this genealogical project. He even had the opportunity to visit Tenerife! Because of our schedules and unfortunate situations I have not been able to meet with him yet but I will. When I am prepared I will share. Hopefully by that time rather than argue or get angry maybe dialog will occur and we can get to understand our past.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Blanquillo 10 Apr 2013 12:32AM GMT 
Glenda Santia... 10 Apr 2013 2:17AM GMT 
Blanquillo 12 Jul 2010 1:00AM GMT 
Glenda Santia... 12 Jul 2010 1:01AM GMT 
Blanquillo 12 Jul 2010 2:00AM GMT 
davidpomales 25 Jan 2011 12:00PM GMT 
NestitaMarrer... 9 Apr 2013 4:40AM GMT 
Carmen Marrero 25 Aug 2000 3:07PM GMT 
iro40_1 6 May 2003 4:12AM GMT 
azucar48 20 Jan 2007 11:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions