Search for content in message boards

George Washington Martin

Replies: 0

George Washington Martin

Posted: 25 Feb 2014 12:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Mar 2014 9:24AM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Newman, King, Sims, Berry, Cole, Brewer
I am looking for information on my Great Grandfather; George Washington Martin, b. 02 Feb 1853 in Tennessee. Lived in Wayne County, Tennessee with family: Father John Henry Martin Mother Elizabeth Betsy King. Married Rachel Francis Newman in 1875 and they lived in Campbell, Searcy County Arkansas with children:

Sam Preston Martin 1877 -1957
Benjamin Franklin Martin 1879 -1931
Mary Jane Elizabeth Martin 1882 -1960 (Married Robert Lee Pope)
Jim Martin 1882 -1887 (died when he fell off a train into the tracks)
Alexander Wayne Martin 1888 - 1964 (Hit by car and fractured head broke neck)
Nathaniel Thomas Martin 1891 -1957 (Froze to death)

The last confirmed location of George Washington Martin and his family is the 1900 Census which places the family in Campbell, Searcy, Arkansas.

After this Geo and Rachel seem to disappear. There is a reference on his son Nathaniel Thomas Martin Draft card that says he is living and farming with his father in Perry, Conway, Arkansas. This is the last know document that I know of.

Other researchers list his death in MO, IL, or Hamilton TN, but family members still living think he is buried somewhere near Morrilton, Arkansas, possibly near the Arkansas River.

I have some documentation from the Wayne County courthouse that his father John H Martin's land was sold at auction to repay a debt and that Elizabeth and George were under the age of 21 and had no guardian. This was in 1866. All of the other names in the courts petition fit: Cole, Berry, Sims, etc. John H Cole became the children's guardian.

Bible records place his mother's family (King family) in Waynesboro, Tennessee.

If anyone has information on George Washington Martin's where about's after 1900 and death information it would be greatly appreciated. I have been unable to confirm any of the leads mentioned by other researchers that this is our George.

The only one that might make sense is the 1914 Hamilton, Tennessee lead. But I have looked up the burial information and am not convinced it is really our ancestor.

Please email me at: cdmslm@hotmail.com

Sincerely,
C Don Martin

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions