Search for content in message boards

Francis Mason I 1566-1622 Revisited

Replies: 0

Francis Mason I 1566-1622 Revisited

Kari D. (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2004 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hey, ya'll!

As an adopted person who just learned I'm related to the Masons, I'm having a blast tracing the family back through the "ancient planters." I'm trying to learn what I can about Francis Mason I, the father of the Lieutenant Francis Mason of Virginia.

From what I've found on the 'Net, he lived 1566-1622. One poster said that he was born in Stratford-on-Avon, but I found a genealogy that said he was born in Weobley Castle in Worcester, England. He has the exact same dates as a Francis Mason who was rector of Sudbourne cum Ortford in Suffolk, Archdeacon of Norfolk, and chaplain to King James I (he wrote a defense of English bishops called Vindex Ecclesiae Anglicanae and there are sermons he preached for James in the British Library holdings). A fellow named H.W.B. Wayman wrote a monograph for the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History about him: "The Venerable Francis Mason."

Can anyone out there add to this information? Is there documentation about where this guy was actually born? Anyone read Wayman? It sounds like gggggggggggg(?!!) grandpa was a fairly important preacher (even made it into Foxe's Book of Acts and Martyrs). Is this correct?

Loving every minute of this...

Kari D.

Find a board about a specific topic