Search for content in message boards

Seeking family of Glenn Maxwell and Agnes Hampton

Replies: 5

Re: Seeking family of Glenn Maxwell and Agnes Hampton

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maxwell, Hampton, Clementi, Mann
Glenn Maxwell taught philosophy at Austin College for 26 years before he retired in 1970 and continued to live in Sherman, TX, until he died in Feb. 1979. I joined the faculty in 1967 and became acquainted with him. He indicated that his wife, whose name I did not know, had been killed in Brazil sometime in the early 1940s. He had a small photo album with a large number of black and white photos, each about 4x6 inches, that he had taken in 1940-41, mostly in Mexico, on Pan American highway and also at an airport. I believe these photos were taken when he and his wife were on their way to Brazil as Presbyterian missionaries. His credentials at Austin College indicated that he had a BA degree from Western Kentucky Teachers College and a BD from the Presbyterian seminary in Louisville, KY. He had taught theology at Austin (TX) Presbyterian Seminary for perhaps one year before joining the faculty at Austin College as Professor of Bible and Philosophy. He soon taught only philosophy, as someone else was hired to teach Bible.
I am creating an archive at Austin College's Abell Library to recognize distinguished faculty by collecting oral histories of what their students and colleagues remember about them. I already have two interviews with colleagues of Prof. Maxwell. I conduct a reminiscence session with the 50-year graduates, who are honored each year at the time of commencement for the current senior class. Prof. Maxwell is often mentioned with great respect and interesting anecdotes about his dignity and his kindness to students.
I obtained his funeral record from Dannel Funeral Home, who made the arrangements for his cremation and burial (in Sherman) in 1979. That record listed the name of his wife as "Agnes Hampton Maxwell" and also listed a mother-in-law (Ethel Clementi) and a nephew (Maxwell Mann).
If you still have the suitcase of letters, I would like to examine and copy them for the archive. There is an art collection at Western Kentucky U. named for Agnes Hampton Maxwell, and it was established in 1979.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SassyArts 27 Feb 2007 4:01PM GMT 
jlincecum1 30 Oct 2009 1:01AM GMT 
hannahelawren... 18 Oct 2012 2:24AM GMT 
micajah82 1 Sep 2013 3:50AM GMT 
hannahelawren... 1 Sep 2013 4:37AM GMT 
micajah82 1 Sep 2013 2:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic