Search for content in message boards

Seeking family of Glenn Maxwell and Agnes Hampton

Replies: 5

Re: Seeking family of Glenn Maxwell and Agnes Hampton

Posted: 31 Aug 2013 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was a student of Mr. Maxwell at Austin College. I was a Philosophy minor and so had several classes with him. In 1962 and 1963 the story was, indeed, that his wife and their young son had died in South America near the Venezuela/Brazil border when protestant missionaries (among them the Maxwells) sought and were denied refuge at a Catholic mission during a political uprising in which North Americans were easy targets.

It was evident by the material included in his Logics class and in a Philosophy of Religion when he taught that he hated the Catholic Church. He never let an opportunity pass to attack the politics of that Church and I remember clearly one of the texts we were assigned to read was titled something along the line of "American Freedom in Catholic Power" - a truly inflammatory derision of all things Catholic.

He was very kind to me and we had several personal conversations. On my graduation he gave me a small and very old copy of a book of the thoughts of Plato in which he inscribed some very nice words.

The students knew him for the books that packed his office from wall to wall and piled high on the floor. He was a voracious reader. Truly a gentleman and somewhat out of place in the early 1960 upheavals, he was perhaps the first eccentric I knew personally and was always a subject of fascination to his students.

I liked him very much, but there was a solemness about him and I don't believe he had any good friends among the faculty or in the town of Sherman. He lived, I believe, a very sad and solitary life.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SassyArts 27 Feb 2007 4:01PM GMT 
jlincecum1 30 Oct 2009 1:01AM GMT 
hannahelawren... 18 Oct 2012 2:24AM GMT 
micajah82 1 Sep 2013 3:50AM GMT 
hannahelawren... 1 Sep 2013 4:37AM GMT 
micajah82 1 Sep 2013 2:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions