Search for content in message boards

Family of WILLIAM MAYO & ELIZABETH POYTHRESS

Replies: 0

Family of WILLIAM MAYO & ELIZABETH POYTHRESS

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 10:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mayo, Poythress
I found the following article of great interest, and post it in the hope that others find it so, as well. The only annoying thing in the article is that the writer didn't deem it important enough to give the first names of some of the daughters of Col. Wm. Mayo and Elizabeth Poythress, although he gave their spouses:

October 6, 1868, Richmond Whig: “Reminiscences of Richmond, The City and Her People in 1810-11-19 (Number Eleven): Having finished my notice of the people of Richmond proper, I deem it not out of place to devote one and the last number of these sketches to bringing to the minds of your readers the lives and characters of some of the most prominent of the families in the immediate neighborhood of the city. This would seem altogether proper, since they constitute a portion of the society of Richmond itself.

COLONEL WILLIAM MAYO, a brother of Colonel John Mayo already spoken of, lived at Powhatan, a mile below Rocketts – so called from the fact that it was the seat of the celebrated Indian chief of that name, whose grave, marked by a very large rough stone, is within a few feet of the house. COLONEL MAYO married first Miss ELIZABETH POYTHRESS, a daughter of Colonel PETER POYTHRESS of Branchester in Prince George County, and a granddaughter of Colonel RICHARD BLAND, a member of the Continental Congress, who resided at Jordan’s Point in the same county. Both of these gentlemen were devoted and active patriots in the war of the Revolution, whilst the last named of the two was one of the most distinguished actors in that eventful struggle. It is a singular incident in their lives that, sustaining the family relation which they did to each other, both of them should have represented their county in that august General Assembly of Virginia which, in 1775, formed the first constituting of the State, under which the people of Virginia lived and prospered until it was overthrown by that fell spirit of innovation which prevailed in the State Convention of 1829-30, by which our ancient landmarks were blotted out, and almost all that was valuable in what was familiarly known as “Old George Mason’s Constitution” was substituted by the crude provisions of an instrument which embodied the demands of demagogues, who thereby sought to ingratiate themselves into the confidence of the ignorant and unthinking multitude. [Portions not transcribed.]

By this first marriage COLONEL MAYO had three sons and five daughters, all of whom lived to have sons and daughters born unto them. The oldest son of the late JOSEPH HEARNE MAYO married Miss ELIZABETH BLAIR, the only daughter of Rev. John D. Blair of Richmond. He lived on a farm adjoining Powhatan called “The Cottage” or “Dunn’s” and died many years ago, leaving several sons and daughters, all of whom, I think, are now residents of your city.

The second son, PETER P. MAYO was a lawyer of high standing, who lived in Abingdon , VA, for many years and afterwards removed to Columbus, Mississippi, where he died at least 25 years ago. Hem married first a Miss Helms of Abingdon, and afterwards a Miss Gregory. I do not know where his descendants lived.

ROBERT A. MAYO, Esq., of Richmond is the youngest and only living son. He married Miss SALLY TALIAFERRO of Orange, who still survives, a much-loved matron, the honored mother of many sons and daughters.

COL. MAYO’s first born daughter married ROBERT ATKINSON, Esq. of Mansfield, in Dinwiddie County. She was the mother of Bishop Atkinson of North Carolina; of the late Rev. William _. Atkinson of Winchester, VA; of Rev. Dr. John M.P. Atkinson, President of the Hampden Sidney College; of Rev. Joseph M. Atkinson of Raleigh, North Carolina, of the late Roger B. Atkinson, Esq., of Lunenburg County, VA; of Robert Atkinson, Esq. of Gonzales, Texas, and of Mrs. Ann P. Patterson of Halifax County, North Carolina, widow of William Patterson, Esq., formerly a merchant of Richmond; of Mrs. E.M. Page, widow of the late William Byrd Page, Esq. of Clarke County, VA; of Mrs. Agnes Burwell, wife of George Burwell, Esq. of Carter’s Hall in the same county; of Mrs. Jane J. Winge, widow of the late Benjamin Winge, Esq. of Petersburg, and of Mrs. Lucy F. Gibson, wife of Rev. J. Churchhill Gibson, also of that city.

His second daughter married the late ALEXANDER FULTON, Esq. of Mount Erin, near Richmond. She was the mother of the late Captain William M. Fulton, who distinguished himself under Gen. Twiggs in the Indian war in Florida; of Capt. John Bell Fulton of Maryland, formerly an officer in the United States Navy; of James Fulton, Esq., also of Maryland, and of two most estimable ladies now of Richmond, Mrs. Elizabeth Gilliam and Miss Mary Jane Fulton. (Alexander Fulton was a warm hearted son of the Emerald Isle, who married on a merchandise business for a long time in Baltimore. He died many years ago, much lamented by all who knew him, and by no one more sincerely than by the writer of these lines, who will ever remember with gratitude the many acts of kindness received from him and his amiable lady whilst living in his kind and affectionate family, at the time of which he writes.)

His third daughter married the late Colonel JOHN JOHNS, for a long time a Senator from the Culpeper district. She was the mother of Dr. John Johns of the Eastern Shore of Virginia, and of several other sons, and the grandmother of Dr. Ross, now of Richmond.

Mr. Mayo had two other daughters, one of whom was the wife of the late General LAWRENCE T. DADE, who represented the Orange Senatorial District for many years. The other married the late CONWAY MACON, Esq., of Orange County. The last named lady still lives in Richmond, respected and love by hosts of friends.

I desire to make the same grateful mention of like kindness received from the family of COL. WILLIAM MAYO, near the same period. I feel that I can never properly appreciate the obligation imposed upon me by these good people, who I hope are now enjoying their appropriate reward. Col. MAYO’S last wife was Miss LUCY FITZHUGH, a niece of the late BENJAMIN HARRISON of Brandon. She was a most accomplished and interesting lady, who survived her husband a short time.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions