Search for content in message boards

John McAllister, Looking for pre-1850 wives - Greenup Co., Ky

Replies: 2

John McAllister, Looking for pre-1850 wives - Greenup Co., Ky

Posted: 3 Nov 2005 5:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McAllister Downs Virgin Ramey Everman
John McAllister, born about 1785 in Kentucky, was a resident of Greenup County, all or most of his life. He appears in Greenup County censuses from 1820 through 1870. He was likely a brother or first cousin to James Benton McAllister, who married America Young. He was, possibly, the father of my great great grandfather, John Wesley McAllister, who emigrated to Washington Territory in 1852.

I'd like to know, with some certainty, that he is my ggg grandfather. The 1850 Greenup census shows John McAllister with wife, Sarah J., and five younger family members (one of whom is Henry, the 26 year old son of James and America McAllister).

I've recently learned that Sarah J. McAllister, in the 1850 census, is Sarah Downs who married (and had a family with) Elzey Virgin in about 1821. She and John McAllister had apparently been married but a few short months prior to the 1850 census taker coming to their door.

So, I'm stuck with continuing mystery concerning the mother or mothers of John's children. I believe that his children included John Wesley McAllister, Harvey Cameron McAllister, Nancy McAllister (married Moses Everman), Mary Ann McAllister, E.J. McAllister (female), and Emily McAllister. I have suspicions that another son, named Alexander McAllister, may have left home prior to any censuses that listed family members. I've seen considerable documentation of the descendants of Harvey Cameron McAllister but have seen little to nothing for the others.

So, I'm hoping to find some people with knowledge of this old Greenup County family.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kelly McAllis... 4 Nov 2005 12:25AM GMT 
Bill Vincent 5 Nov 2005 3:28AM GMT 
ShirleneMccle... 18 Mar 2012 3:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions