Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah McCarthy and family, of Kilcrohane, County Cork

Replies: 1

Jeremiah McCarthy and family, of Kilcrohane, County Cork

Kathryn Fowler (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2002 7:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCarthy, McCarty, Donavin, Donovan, Dunavine, McDonald, McDonnell, Fowler
My great great grandfather Eugene McCarthy was one of 12 children born to Jeremiah McCarthy and Honora Donavin of County Cork. (I have seen his mother's name also spelled Donovan and Dunavine.) Eugene was born on Christmas Day, 1830 and died in Perth Ontario in 1922 at the age of 91. Apparently, he came steerage to New York in the 1840s and emigrated to Canada by way of Eire, Pennsylvannia and eventually settled in Leeds Co. Ontario, marrying his step-cousin Catherine Traynor and, after her death in 1871, Honora/Anne McDonnell/McDonald in 1872.

He had a sister Honora and another, Johanna who married a Trainor also. Johanna and her husband John Trainor settled in Carthage, NY

Can anyone tell me anything about Eugene's parents, Jeremiah McCarthy and/or Honora Donavin? She had at least two brothers, one Patrick Donavin Sr. married Marphy Murphy in 1820 and left Watergrasshill, Cork for Canada in the late 1820. Another brother was Thomas, who came with them to Canada then but returned to Ireland.

Eugene told one of his descendants that he was born at Farranamanagh, Kilcrohane, Bantry Bay, Co.Cork, Ireland

His first daughter by his second wife, Ellen McCarthy (1873/4-1950), was my great grandmother. She married John Fowler (1855 or 60 to 1939) in Kitley Twp., Leeds Co. Ontario in 1892.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kathryn Fowler 6 Oct 2002 1:40AM GMT 
julieflake58 2 Mar 2013 3:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic