Search for content in message boards

mccurdys of the isle of bute scotland & antrium ireland

Replies: 31

Re: mccurdys of the isle of bute scotland & antrium ireland

Posted: 29 Sep 2001 6:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCurdy/MacKirdy/MaKuerdy
Winterhawk;

My research has been done by reading some of the history of Northern Ireland, Scotland and traveling there. I have also read many of the genealogy publications on the McCurdy/MacKirdy family. H. Percy Blanchard's "Ancestral McCurdy's" and his "McCurdy's of Nova Scotia" along with other authors such as John AI McCurdy and DE McCurdy who's publications detail the genealogy lines of the family.

I have been working at entering Blanchard's works and some of the other author's publications into my own personal database. The program I have been using is Generations "Family Tree" and I already have over 1300 names entered with about a few thousand more to go. Then I must review it for accuracy name line by name line using John's publications.

Much of the problem in genealogy is access to or availability of records. Writing skills and recording materials was not generally available as you go back in time before say the 1400's. Records may have been lost, burned, destroyed by time. Many of the researchers have had to do their own ground work with their own time, travels and money. Imersing yourself in the culture, meeting the family line and learning the times in which they lived gives you a wonderful sence of history and why it became what it is today. There result is that I have joined the Clans Stuart Association and attend many of the regional Highland Festivals. I have the MacKirdy Tartan kilt as well as the Stuart of Bute Tartan which is our local Scotland weave. A sence of kinsmanship can be learned by becoming involed with these associations and meeting the family line.

As for the records of the McCurdy's of North America in modern times, that book has not been written. But there are a lot of us out there. However, you might consider that there is a McCurdy Family Association Newsletter and it can be subscribed to by sending an email query to Ross at: rmccurdy@capecod.net. Oh, there is a McCurdy Family Association gathering at Keene, NH next July.

Perhaps we need to formalize a North American Clan McCurdy Association as other family names with Scottish and Irish roots have done.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ShirleyBently... 13 Aug 2001 12:04AM GMT 
Pat A Emery (Mowrey) 29 Aug 2001 4:02AM GMT 
cbmccurdy 29 Aug 2001 10:16AM GMT 
irmaward 29 Aug 2001 2:53PM GMT 
jk mccurdy 29 Aug 2003 3:50PM GMT 
Irma Ward 30 Aug 2003 12:48AM GMT 
WINTERHAWK 29 Sep 2001 4:03AM GMT 
cbmccurdy 29 Sep 2001 12:02PM GMT 
Marge14au 27 Nov 2001 1:45AM GMT 
Doreen 27 Nov 2001 8:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions