Search for content in message boards

McGeehan Family from Doochary, Lettermacaward Parish, Derrylaconnell Near, Donegal

Replies: 0

McGeehan Family from Doochary, Lettermacaward Parish, Derrylaconnell Near, Donegal

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 7:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGeehan, Bonar, Moy, McHugh, McMonigle, McGrady, Boyle, Flanagan
My McGeehan line comes from Connell McGeehan (b around 1825) who married a Mary Bonar around 1855.
Their families were both well-known in the farm area of Doochary (Derrylaconnell Near), Lettermacaward Parish, Donegal.

Connell (Condy) and Mary had 5 children: Nancy who never married and lived in the family cottage until old age; Owen who married and resettled in Scotland; Mary who emigrated to "pioneer country" Hailey Idaho (Deer Creek) with husband Andrew McMonigle, and who had many children there; Patrick who emigrated to Pennsylvania and settled in Philadelphia with his second wife Mary Moy (McHugh); and Sarah (Sally) who married a Condy Boyle from Fintown. Sarah and Condy settled in Londonderry and had many children, last name of Boyle today.

My line comes from Patrick McGeehan and (second wife) Mary Moy McHugh, m around 1896 in Philadelphia. Descendants of theirs still live in the Philadelphia area, all through Alice McGeehan Flanagan (b 1900) and/or Ann (Babe) McGeehan Frederick (b 1898).

Patrick McGeehan's first wife (m 1893) was a Mary McGrady (also from Doochary area) who died from complications of childbirth to their son Hugh. Their son Hugh McGeehan lived to adulthood but died in a steel mill accident in 1928. Hugh had 2 sons, Joseph McGeehan and Hugh McGeehan, who may have descendants today in the Philadelphia area or in the mines area of PA, where Patrick and Mary McGrady settled before she died. (I would be interested in corresponding with any descendants of Joseph McGeehan or Hugh McGeehan. We have lost touch with this side of his first family).

Feel free to contact me at mlavins@optonline.net if any of this sounds connected to your family history.

Posted January 5, 2007

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions