Anne Washburn wrote:
Question: Are we positive that the William McGinnis who lived in Halifax VA came on that exact ship? He would have been about 3 yrs old, according to the dates in your pedigree. Were his parents aboard? Do you think William and/or his father were kin to your family that came?
It is my guesstimate that William came on that ship, the Forward according to my friend David McGinnis (email in previous message) and my Edmund McGinnis, were both kids approx 3 yrs old probably on the same ship and then they split up and mine went to his county and william to his county
What are the odds that they were brothers or cousins or something? High.
Did they travel with a parent or adult, maybe
My info ends with edmund and his later wife Sara
I have attached Edmund's tree info
* Edmund McGinnis
b. bef 1723 Co Antrim, Ireland, d. aft 1799 Frederick Co VA?
m. Sara _ b. abt 1710 Ireland?, d. bef 1780 Frederick Co VA?
children James John Nella
here is what I have from William my complete notes:
NOTE your William and my ancestor Edmund might have been kids on the same boat from the same county of Ireland and might have been related/siblings.
Below is another McGinnis Tree submitted by David McGinnis
Note the names of gen 1 and gen 2 are not the same as my generations at the same period.
Descendants of William McGinnis
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM1 MCGINNIS was born Abt. 1720 in Ireland, and died 1761 in Halifax co. , Va.. He married ELIZABETH 1743 in Halifax co. , Va..
More About WILLIAM MCGINNIS:
Fact 1: William Came to America in 1723 aboard the ship "Forward".
Children of WILLIAM MCGINNIS and ELIZABETH are:
i. WILLIAM MCGINNIS2 JR, b. 1743, Goochland co., Va..
2. ii. ALEXANDER MCGINNIS SR, b. 1747, Lunenberg co., Va.; d. 1828, Smith co., Tn..
iii. ANDREW MCGINNIS.
3. iv. JAMES MCGINNIS, b. Halifax Co. Va..
v. JOHN MCGINNIS.
vi. MOLLY MCGINNIS.
vii. ? MCGINNIS.
viii. ? MCGINNIS.
ix. ? MCGINNIS.
x. ? MCGINNIS.
Generation No. 2
2. ALEXANDER MCGINNIS2 SR (WILLIAM1 MCGINNIS) was born 1747 in Lunenberg co., Va., and died 1828 in Smith co., Tn.. He married ELIZABETH 1772 in Lunenberg co., Va..
Children of ALEXANDER SR and ELIZABETH are:
i. WILLIAM3 MCGINNIS, b. 1774; m. TRIFENA, April 25, 1804.
4. ii. RICHARD MCGINNIS, b. 1784, Halifax co. , Va.; d. May 05, 1865.
5. iii. ABRAHAM MCGINNIS, b. December 14, 1786, Halifax co. , Va.; d. August 14, 1842, Madison co., Ar..
iv. ? MCGINNIS, b. 1794.
v. ALEXANDER MCGINNIS JR., b. 1795; m. MARY ATNIP, February 09, 1816.
3. JAMES2 MCGINNIS (WILLIAM1) was born in Halifax Co. Va.. He married ELIZABETH WILLIAMS.
Children of JAMES MCGINNIS and ELIZABETH WILLIAMS are:
i. MARGARET3 MCGINNIS.
ii. NANCY MCGINNIS.
iii. WINNIE MCGINNIS.
iv. WILLIAM MCGINNIS, b. 1785.
v. ALEXANDER MCGINNIS, b. 1787.
vi. ELZABETH BETSY MCGINNIS.
vii. JOHN MCGINNIS, b. 1793.
6. viii. JAMES MCGINNIS, b. 1796.
ix. KEZIAH MCGINNIS, b. 1802.
x. STEPHEN MCGINNIS, b. 1802.
So what do you think would 2 persons 3 years old from the same county in Ireland travel the same ship? Did an adult accompany them? Please post a reply and if you have evidence that would be great