Search for content in message boards

McGlothlin's in 1850 Russell Co., Va., census

Replies: 3

Re: Jacob McGlothlin

Posted: 28 Oct 2006 4:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGlothlin, Honaker
Sondra,

We have your Daniel as a son of Davis Larkin McGlothlin (wife unknown). Davis was born 03 January 1787, in (we believe) South Carolina.

Davis was a son of Jacob McGlothlin and his wife Mary Unknown. Jacob was one of the three known brothers who fought in the Revolutionary War.

Below is the additional information I have on Davis.

SELECTED RECORDS FROM MARY MC GLOTHLIN'S PENSION APPLICATION FILE (Davis's
Mother)
State of Virginia, Russell County
The depositions of Davis L. McLaughlin, resident of the county aforesaid taken this 18th day April 1846 before me a Justice of the Peace in and for aforesaid county who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath state that he is fifty nine years old, the 3rd day of January 1846 from the best information he has; and he verily to be correct that he was always believed to the lawful son of Jacob McLaughlin who was reputed and believed to have been a soldier in the War of the Revolution and of Mary, his (the said Jacob's) wife. That from his earliest recollection said Jacob and Mary always lived together as man and wife until the death of his father, the said Jacob McLaughlin which took place in Russell County on the 22nd day of January 1831, and that ever since the death aforesaid his mother, the said Mary has remained a widow. And this deponent fully believes that the before mentioned Jacob and Mary were legally and lawfully married and he has often heard them the said Jacob and Mary say that they were and that he never heard it disputed and this deponent would further say that they were married in South Carolina on Catawba River, but does not know in what county and if there is any record of this marriage of said Jacob and Mary he does not know it or where it may be found and this deponent would further say that there is no family record of said marriage and if there ever was any he this deponent does not know it and further said not.
his
Davis L. McLaughlin
mark
In witness of
Asa Lynn(?)
Neeley McQuire McGlothlin

Sworn and subscribed the ____ _____ of _________ they _____ being first made on the 18th day of April 1846 before mentioned.
Before me Larkin Herndon

State of Virginia, County of Russell
I, the subscriber, a Justice of the Peace in and for the aforesaid county do hereby certify that I am personally acquainted with Davis L. McLaughlin, the foregoing deponent that he is a man in good standing and that his deposition is entitled to confidence and full credit. In testimony where of I have here unto set my hand this 18th day of April 1846.
Larkin Herndon J.P.

1850 Census: Virginia, Russell Co., 54th District, dwelling 334, family 334
McLaughlin, David, 62, Farmer Property Value $1,500 born in N.C.
-, Catherine, 40, Virginia
-, Neely, 24, Farmer, Russell Co., Va.
-, Henderson C., 22, Russell Co., Va.
Stephens, Ellen,12, Russell Co., Va. (Don't know the relationship of Ellen).

1860 Census: Virginia, Russell Co., p. 145, dwelling 974, family 974
McGlothlin, Davis, 73
-, Anna C., 48

1870 Census: Virginia, Russell Co., Copper Creek Township, p. 19, dwelling 132, family 129
McLaughlin, David, 82, Farmer; Real Estate Value $1,000; Personal Estate Value $700
-, Catherine, 59
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Frieda Patrick Davison 14 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Sondra Elmore Reger 7 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
bigamt 8 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
bigamt 28 Oct 2006 10:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions