Search for content in message boards

McGlothlin - Scottish or Irish

Replies: 3

McGlothlin - Scottish or Irish

Posted: 11 Feb 2003 6:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Aug 2003 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: McGlothlin, McLaughlin
I've been reading many of your messages on the McGlothlin Message Board. Looks like many of us are on the same quest. Some of you I have actually met in person - others only in cyberspace.

I am descended through John McGlothlin (Revolutionary War soldier), his son Jacob, his son Frederick A., his son Frederick Yance, his daughter Nannie Belle, her son Clyde Anderson Patrick, me.

I too have been searching for the father of brothers John, Jacob, and Stephen and have often wondered if Ann was their mother. Several years ago, I became interested in the possibility of them being Scottish rather than Irish. I have no hard proof whatsoever but do have some interesting circumstantial evidence that I would like to put forward.

*We know from their pension application records that none of them could read or write and therefore couldn't tell their commanding officers how to spell their name. Thus, the commanders spelled it however they wanted to!
*At least two of them were born somewhere along the Edisto River area of South Carolina.
*That area of South Carolina was heavily settled by Scots.
*Many of those Scots came to South Carolina after the Battle of Culloden in Scotland on 16 April 1746.
*They came because deportation was an option given to some in the place of hanging or life in prison.
*IF they chose the deportation option, however, they had to swear an oath of allegiance to the British King.
*We know that a Scotsman's word was his bond and in those days breaking an oath was assurance of eternal damnation.
*Therefore, many of the survivors of Culloden refused to fight in the American Revolution but would gather their sons around them and say essentially, "I canna' fight - I am oathed. BUT ye can fight - ye are not oathed."
Thus it was not uncommon to find brothers who were sons of a Scottish deported soldier fighting in the Revolutionary War. It also explains why there were so many Loyalists in that part of South Carolina.
*At the Battle of Culloden, there was an entire regiment of the MacLachlan Clan, the chief of whom was killed in the battle - his name: Lachlan MacLachlan!!!
*One of the ploys the British used to rule Scotland was to try to rid themselves of the chiefs. We know that several members of that clan were sent to Australia as well as America.
*Anyway, these are my premises for thinking that Jacob, John, and Stephen were Scottish and were sons of a Culloden soldier. I'm still working on the proof but confident that one of these days we will find it.

Frieda
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
FriedaDavison... 11 Feb 2003 1:33PM GMT 
PJMcGlothin 23 May 2005 2:56AM GMT 
bigamt 23 May 2005 12:00PM GMT 
@@dcpjc@earth... 23 May 2005 8:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic