Search for content in message boards

John and Judith(Leathers) McGlothlin

Replies: 8

John and Judy McLaughlin

Posted: 5 Apr 2001 12:14PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jun 2006 7:13PM GMT
In John's widow's Revolutionary War pension application, their surname is listed with two spellings, "McLaughlin" & "McGlothlin". Her given name is shown as "Judy" as well as "Judith". Neither John nor Judy were capable of signing their names. The pension application index number is W.7436.

John served as a private in Capt Smith's Company of the 4th Regiment. He enlisted on 6 May 1776 and was discharged 14 May 1779 and fought in the battle of Guilford (That was the battle of Guilford court house, in NC, near the end of the Rev War).

In an affidavit of 10 June 1858, Judy states that she knows few persons spell the name "McLaughlin" - It is commonly spelled "McGlothlin or McGlathlin". She states that "McLaughlin" is the correct spelling of their surname, even though it is listed as "McGlotholin" in the 6th pension census for her husband.

Another affidavit in the record states that John McLaughlin's birthday may have been on the 26th of January.

Son Jacob has an affidavit in the pension file wherein he states he is their third son of thirteen children and in 1858 at age 67 lived in Russell Co, VA. In this affidavit, his surname is spelled "McGlothlin". He further stated then that the oldest child if still living would be 73 years of age and that his mother judy had been living with her children in Tazwell and Russell counties, VA, since the death of John, her husband. Son Jacob appears to have signed his affidavit in his own hand.

In 1858, Judy was 95 years old. John had died on 17 February 1848 at his home in Tazwell Co, VA.

Judy applied for Bounty land as the widow of deceased Rev War private John McLaughlin on 13 September 1858. In this application affidavit, two of her sonsm Jacob and Robert, both then residents of Russell Co, VA, signed their names attesting to her true identity. Their surname spelling they used was "McLaughlin".

My 4th great grandfather was a Rev War private, one John McLaughlin, born in 1754 and died in Lafayette Co, MO on 17 July 1828. He also fought in the battle of Guilford. It remains to be seen as to whether these two Johns were closely or remotely related. Mine, I know from old family histories, was Irish. I'll be interested in watching the results of your search on this BB.
Don McGlothlen,
McGlothlen Family Historian
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
smcwalker 2 Mar 2001 12:12PM GMT 
Dale McGlothlin 8 Mar 2001 6:34AM GMT 
smcwalker 8 Mar 2001 10:25AM GMT 
DianaRatliff2... 15 Mar 2001 5:00PM GMT 
smcwalker 15 Mar 2001 5:53PM GMT 
DianaRatliff2... 17 Mar 2001 8:41AM GMT 
jratliff3140 1 Feb 2012 4:20AM GMT 
DonMcGl 5 Apr 2001 6:14PM GMT 
W. Wayne McGlothlin 17 Sep 2001 7:28AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions