Ambrose MCKEE

Posted: 6 May 2005 5:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2005 10:03AM GMT
Surnames: McKee
From the MECKLENBURG COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA
Minutes of the Court of Common Pleas and Quarter Sessions 1780-1800
Transcribed by Herman W. Ferguson:

Ambrose McKee was appointed to the PETIT JURY of the July Session 1783 Book 1-424.

Also from the 1783 July session at Book 1-430, "One from Ambrose McKee to Alexander ROBINSON for 164 acres dated 11th July 1783, (proved) by Will. PATTERSON.

Noted an interesting entry for the 1st of October 1783 Session (Book 1-431) in-between my area of interest as follows:

"......the whole of the said Estate was desposed off by the enemy and lost...."

At Book 1-551, 1785 September Session:

The Last Will and Testament of AMBROSE MCKEE was proved in open court. Ordered that Letters Testamentary issue to Robert IRWIN and John NEELY, Exrs appointed in said Will who are qualified accordingly. WB-B/116

There is no mention of any Ambrose MCKEE following the October 1788 Court Session that said: "An Account of Sales of the {Estate of} Ambrose McKee Decd, Returned Which Amounts to 64 pounds.

There was no record of Ambrose McKee's children being put to trade or under guardianship in the 1780-1800 court minutes. (Contrary to most other deceased person's children being put to trade or under guardians.)

Recently found the following information on a google search:

QUOTE:

"According to Willie REA his place of birth has not yet been determined. He was in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina by 1767 as his father purchased land there during that year.

According to the court minutes of Mecklenburg County for 1774 (Minute Book 1, Page 3) John REA is listed as an orphan of John REA, deceased, and is bound to

AMBROSE MCKEE
to learn the art of a tailor.

His mother, Martha (Rea), was remarried by the time the estate was settled. It is given in the court minutes in 1775 (Minutes Book 1, Pg 151, March 16 1775). Martha REA married Robert LEWIS. .................. John REA married Nancy SECREST prior to 1790 and is listed in the 1790 census with a wife and child..........Jacob SECREST and Barbara SIMMS, both German, married on the boat from Germany. They landed on the Georgetown Coast (SC) and settled 3/4 of a mile from Antioch Camp Ground, in what is now Union Co NC. John REA served in the State Legislature 1815, 1817, 1822. John REA (SR) was in Delaware in 1757. By 1762 the family moved to Lancaster Co PA. By 1767, John REA had purchased 306 acres on Four Mile Creek from Henry MCCULLOH in January 1767." (End of quoted online family history.)

For me it was big news that Ambrose MCKEE was a tailor and that he was mentioned living and breathing in Mecklenburg County NC in 1774. It would seem that a tailor would live in "town" as it were at that time and I wonder where exactly that might have been in 1774. I also wonder if Ambrose McKee's other children followed the tailor trade. Ambrose McKee and Samuel McKee are listed somehow (haven't seen the details but would love to) in PIERCE'S Register as in the SALISBURY DISTRICT. Would this somehow lead to the location of where the tailor shop might have been? I would appreciate hearing from anyone that could add to this information.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lookin4mckee 6 May 2005 11:26AM GMT 
christine all... 27 Dec 2013 11:08PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 28 Dec 2013 1:37PM GMT 
Cleighlon 17 Apr 2014 9:15PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 18 Apr 2014 12:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic