Search for content in message boards

Lookup request from the "Book of McKee"

Replies: 52

Re: Lookup request from the "Book of McKee"

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 10:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Dan,

Your points are well taken. It is not my purpose to dissuade you in any way.

However, I will make a small discussion and valid point for the benefit of those persons reading who may also be looking to form an opinion of autosomal DNA results and possibiities.

On my Mother's lineage out of Wayne Co TN, the REAVES line for my Grandpa Ben Reaves daughtered out with my Mom and her four sisters and one boy who died at ten months. I never had any doubt of my lineage as my family was tight for over a hundred and fifty years of living in the same vicinity. However with the advent of online genealogy God and everyone said my great grandpa could not be my great grandpa. This went on until autosomal and another Reaves cousin interested in proving the lineage found a direct descendant of this line whom he sponsored to test autosomal DNA looking for matching with myself and Degnen. The match with me lit up the chromosme browser graph like a Christmas trip and has proven the 3rd cousin Reaves connection.

There was no one left to do this on the yDNA line.

The above is just one point.

There is a lot of work to all our research for both genealogy and DNA research. Without DNA your genealogy work will never be proven beyond a doubt. DNA trumps paperwork if you don't have a paper trail that is proven beyond a doubt. And, as far as I am concerned, there are NO paper trails proven beyond a doubt. The more I admin yDNA accounts at FTDNA, the more I can tell you for a fact that very few surnames are tight beyond maybe 300 years. If you get your linege proven without a doubt back to Ireland or Scotland on a fairly common surname (((and beyond a doubt))) you have really done something.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lindaspc4mc 23 Jul 2012 1:40PM GMT 
dancooper1 23 Jul 2012 3:06PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 24 Jul 2012 8:00AM GMT 
dancooper1 24 Jul 2012 4:14PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 24 Jul 2012 4:43PM GMT 
s0621a2001m 25 Jul 2012 12:39PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 25 Jul 2012 2:11PM GMT 
s0621a2001m 25 Jul 2012 2:23PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 25 Jul 2012 4:03PM GMT 
s0621a2001m 28 Jul 2012 2:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions