Search for content in message boards

Lookup request from the "Book of McKee"

Replies: 52

Re: Lookup request from the "Book of McKee"

Posted: 23 Jul 2012 9:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cooper, McKee
That's quite interesting, Linda, as I have also had DNA testing performed (on me), although through another organization. We need to see about matching the results from one organization to the other to determine if we do, indeed, have a match of some kind. I had mine done through FamilyTreeDNA and will check into matching up with your results through them. If you can check the same possibilities from your end, we may be able to get together and find out what, if anything, matches.

Unfortunately, Cooper is a very common surname, and a lot of different genealogical trees are represented. The odds of a match are, in other words, remote. But it certainly is worth exploring, isn't it? After all, that's why we do the DNA testing in the first place.

Another factor is how thorough a test was performed on your husband. There are matches from just the 12-marker test that are extremely general, and typically don't get close to revealing anything useful--the matches are for people many generations removed from us, typically from before the surnames were individuated. In other words, no help at all. I have several of those matches.

Then there are (completely different) matches from the 25-marker test and even more from the 37-marker test. The more markers in the test results, the more highly probable are matches being more useful in a genealogical sense. How many markers were tested on your husband, and can the results be compared from your organization to FamilyTreeDNA without jumping through a lot of challenging (expensive) hoops? Those are the questions I have for now. As I said, I will be checking with FamilyTreeDNA for possibilities of comparing our results through them. If you check with Family Finder and 23andme, maybe we can learn something useful here.

Meanwhile, from what I can gather, finding anything in the poorly organized Book of McKee is something of a nightmare. I won't wish that on you unless you feel really up to the challenge. If it had not been for that pesky comment on the Internet leading me to believe my McKees are mentioned in this book, I would have dropped it like a hot rock already and moved on without the otherwise valuable reference.

Dan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lindaspc4mc 23 Jul 2012 1:40PM GMT 
dancooper1 23 Jul 2012 3:06PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 24 Jul 2012 8:00AM GMT 
dancooper1 24 Jul 2012 4:14PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 24 Jul 2012 4:43PM GMT 
s0621a2001m 25 Jul 2012 12:39PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 25 Jul 2012 2:11PM GMT 
s0621a2001m 25 Jul 2012 2:23PM GMT 
lindaspc4mc 25 Jul 2012 4:03PM GMT 
s0621a2001m 28 Jul 2012 2:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions