Mc vs Mac

Replies: 14

Re: Mc vs Mac

Joanne (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2002 6:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKinnon, McMillan, McDonald, Lalonde
Hi Pat,
Never heard that before. But it comes back to the same thing. There is no one reason why some write Mc while others write Mac. In my family we write it Mc with the c looking like a reverse apostrophe. If you did research at any of the Family History center, you will find the McKinnons are listed has M'Kinnon.
In the book Memoirs of Clan Fingon, you can see that our name has been through a lot of changes. One of the old spelling is M'Kynnoun. But we are all descendant of King Alpin son Gregor and his son Findanus. So at some point the Clan members where known has M'Findanus. Keep in mind that not many people knew how to write then. This could have contributed to our names many spellings. As for my branch, we have been spelling it McKinnon at least since 1825.
Most of my own knowledge of the Clan history comes from Memoirs of Clan Fingon by Rev. Donald D. MacKinnon, M.A. and Scottish Highlanders a personal view by Charles MacKinnon. Charles MacKinnon of Dunakin, is a hereditary chieftain and laird of Dunakin, and owner of Dunakin Castle. He is also 33rd in an unbroken male line of descent from Findanus, the fourth MacKinnon chief. He is also heriditary seanachaidh (genealogist and historian) of the clan MacKinnon. We are lucky to have so much information available to us. We have a long recorded history that is well worth reading. Hope you will have a chance to enjoy it, too.

Slainte
Joanne
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Karen 28 May 2002 11:35PM GMT 
larrymckin 29 May 2002 1:24PM GMT 
Anne Rector 12 Aug 2002 2:25AM GMT 
Joanne McKinnon 15 Jun 2002 1:45PM GMT 
dunekin1 22 Jun 2002 5:25PM GMT 
Joanne 23 Jun 2002 12:25PM GMT 
my1995harley 19 Oct 2002 5:03PM GMT 
Joanne 19 Oct 2002 6:49PM GMT 
Robert MacKin... 28 Jan 2013 2:27AM GMT 
MaryKHenss 16 Jul 2002 5:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions