Search for content in message boards

Looking for Soma and Blackfoot Indian relations

Replies: 1

Looking for Soma and Blackfoot Indian relations

Posted: 19 Jun 2008 2:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
I tried this a few years ago, and nothing had panned out...so, I am trying this again.

My Great-grandfather Andrew Soma (b. May 26, 1883 d. Apr 1976) came over from Oslo, Norway. He was a 'jack-of-all-trades'...farmer, whaling ship worker, laborer, dynamite, etc. The 'family legend' is that after he arrived here in the States, he was sent a letter telling him that he was to inherit some 'worldly goods' if he was to return to Norway...which he promptly rejected, stating that he was a US citizen now, and he would never return to Norway...and he never did go back. Another family legend is that a relative of his started up the 'Wisconsin Dells Boat Tours' or the 'Wisconsin Dells Duck Tours' (both of which are great fun, if you get the chance to go, but I digress...), but I can't recall which tour was/is the correct one.

He married a full-blooded Blackfoot Indian named Mary L (b. Sept. 12, 1892, d. Sept. 15, 1992). They had 11 children...Irene, Lillian (b. 1922), Kjisten (Americanized to 'Christine' b. 1923), Mabel, Nils, Jessie, Helen, Olaf, Ethel, Edmund, and Maynard.

Lillian and Christine were born in Harmony, MN...and the mothers maiden name was given as Massey, but, I can't find any other evidence under Blackfoot records if this was true, or if this was just a name she gave for the county records.

I have more vital stats concerning the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of Andrew and Mary...so, please let me know if any of these names sound familiar. I will gladly pass along what I know.

My request,you ask? LOL I would love to find more info about Andrew and Mary. Any and all will be greatly appreciated! Thank you! anndz1 at yahoo

p.s. I am going to use this postscript as my confessional, if I may.

Unfortunately, the one and only time that I saw Andrew and Mary was at their Anniversary celebration (must have been their 50th), and I was just too young (and stupid, I guess) to realize that I should have spent more time talking and getting to know them. I have to admit that I come from a VERY dysfunctional family (NOT that Andrew and Mary had anything to do with that, at all, mind you)...but, I can't put into words how much I regret not asking/answering/listening to my elders. Thanks for letting me vent. ;)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
anndz 19 Jun 2008 8:46PM GMT 
hecate666 14 Aug 2010 6:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic