Search for content in message boards

Pierre Menard

Replies: 31

Pierre/Michel Ménard

Richard Bessette (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2000 9:41AM GMT
You may already have this information, but in Edward G. Mason's Early Chicago and Illinois - Chicago, 1890 (Chicago Historical Society's Collection, vol. IV)we read : Two of Pierre Ménard's brothers, Hypolite and Jean-François, followed him to Illinois and settled at Kaskaskia. The former was a successful farmer, and the other a famous navigator of the Mississippi. Both led useful and honored lives, lived to advanced age, and both rest near their brother Pierre in the old cemetery at Kaskaskia. A nephew, also, Michel Ménard, having as well the family patronymic of Brindamour, who was born at LaPrairie, December 5, 1805, made his way to Illinois at the age of eighteen. For several years he was employed by his uncle Pierre in trading with Indians. He obtained great influence among them, and was elected chief of the Shawnees. It is said that he almost succeeded in uniting the tribes of the Northwest into one great nation, of which he would have been king. In 1833, Michel went to Texas, was a member of the convention which declared its independence, and of its congress. A league of land was granted to him,including most of the site of the City of Galveston, which he founded, and where he died in 1856. It is related that the Indians said of him, as of his uncle Pierre, whom in many respects he resembled, "Ménard never deceived us."

I hope this can be useful for your search. I am still looking to see if I am related to Pierre. My maternal great-grand father was Napoléon Ménard, married to Rose Thibeault on Oct. 5, 1886 at age 27 in Oscoda Michigan. If in the course of your research you find any connection, please let me know.

Thanks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Richard Bessette 7 Nov 2000 4:41PM GMT 
David Ramsey 20 May 2012 6:55PM GMT 
James Toal 1 Jul 2000 7:33PM GMT 
melanie 17 Jul 2000 11:58AM GMT 
James E Toal 17 Jul 2000 1:44PM GMT 
Jessica Winebrenner 15 Oct 2000 7:32PM GMT 
tabesse 16 Sep 2000 7:59AM GMT 
Richard Bessette 16 Jul 2000 11:15AM GMT 
krmcnair 20 Sep 2000 1:45PM GMT 
SHIRIN01 7 Nov 2000 2:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions