Replies: 3

Hexagon House owned by Mrs. Minor Meriwether

Posted: 11 Nov 2006 6:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Meriwether, Galbraith
Dallas Morning News (Dallas, Texas)
February 5, 1958

Hexagon House To Be Wrecked?

The Hexagon House of Mineral Wells, one of Texas’ most popular tourist attractions, will be torn down soon, says one of the three owners, Mrs. Ann Meriwether.

Mrs. Meriwether, who lives in the huge honeycomb of stone, steel and timber, says she has written to a wrecking company razing the 61-year-old landmark.

“We have an average of 40 persons a week go through the house, almost all of them from out of town,” says the charming Mrs. Meriwether. “And hundreds more stop just to see the exterior. Yet we can no longer afford to keep up the 30-room, 4-story house just so tourists can look at it..”

“Most of the people of Mineral Wells just think of the Hexagon House as a bunch of sticks,” said Mrs. Meriwether. “Yet I showed two busloads of New Englanders through recently, and they said it was one of the most beautiful and interesting old houses they’d ever seen.”

Mrs. Meriwether’s father, the late David Gehugh Galbraith, was a great admirer of bees. And he modeled the stout old house’s floor plan after a honeycomb.

Each room has six sides. All the rooms have outside ventilation and most rooms have windows which face in three directions. The walls on the ground floor are thick native stone. The heavy timbers used in the rest of the house were constructed under Mr. Galbraith’s very critical eye, with each piece of wood dipped into creosote before it was put in place.

Mrs. Meriwether says that it will almost break her heart when the beloved old house is wrecked. She added: “There is a fabulous amount of ‘heart of pine’ interior trim throughout the house that, I understand, can’t be bought in a lumber yard. The lot is near the best part of Mineral Wells business district and should be very valuable when cleared. I have just written my last letter to the Texas Historical Society, telling them that I can no longer afford to save the house.”

The tile floors on the first floor are in hexagon patterns. Even the dishes in the kitchen are hexagon shaped.

“A visitor from New Mexico who was here last Saturday, said it would be a reflection on Mineral Wells and the State of Texas if the Hexagon House has to go down,” said Mrs. Meriwether. “There’s nothing else I can do though.”

The Hexagon House is still in good physical condition.

“Only one of the four staircases squeaks,” said Mrs. Meriwether.

Note: Does anyone know if this house was razed?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SharonTMSI 11 Nov 2006 1:40PM GMT 
MeriwetherSoc... 12 Nov 2006 9:20PM GMT 
MeriwetherSoc... 12 Nov 2006 9:22PM GMT 
billybareblu 19 Dec 2013 8:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic